This sweet potato casserole is the perfect dish for Thanksgiving, Christmas, or any time you want a delicious side dish. It’s easy to make and made in a slow cooker, so it doesn’t take up space in your oven on busy days. This casserole smells like Thanksgiving morning with the scent of pumpkin pie spice!
What is sweet potato casserole?
- Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving or Christmas side dish. It has baked cubes of sweet potatoes in a creamy sauce with cinnamon and brown sugar topped with pecans or marshmallows.
- It is one of those classic recipes that everyone looks forwards to. It is fantastic as a holiday side dish, but it can easily be made all year long.
- This dish is often called a soufflé but is not technically one, for a soufflé is made light and airy with whipped egg whites or has very finely pureed sweet poatoes.
How to make Sweet Potato Casserole in the Slow Cooker
- Sweet potatoes– you will want to make sure they are peeled and diced thinly.
- Butter – salted softened butter.
- Brown sugar– light or dark brown sugar.
- Water – not much is needed for this recipe, for you don’t want to make a soup.
- Spices and flavorings– pumpkin pie spice and vanilla, with a dash of salt. to get the perfect flavors in this souffle.
- Pecans– halved pecans, or you can chop them if desired.
- Marshmallows– use the mini marshmallows so that they melt properly. Don’t add these until the end.
Step by Step Directions
Step 1: Add the softened butter, brown sugar, water, pumpkin pie spice, and vanilla in a medium-sized bowl.
Step 2 – Whisk together until combined.
Step 3 – Add the thinly diced sweet potatoes to the slow cooker and pour over the brown sugar/butter mixture.
Step 4 – Mix the sweet potatoes with the brown sugar mixture. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours. Stir it occasionally.
Step 5- Stir the sweet potatoes when the cooking time is done until they resemble a sweet potato mash.
Step 6 – Sprinkle over the pecans.
Step 7– Add the marshmallows and add the lid back on the slow cooker. Cook for 10 minutes longer or until the marshmallows melt. Serve directly from the slow cooker.
How to Store Leftovers
- Leftovers are one of the best things about the holidays and this recipe tastes even better the next day. To store crockpot sweet potato casserole in the refrigerator. You can keep it in the slow cooker and wrap it well with plastic or place it in an airtight container. It will last for up to 5 days.
- You can also freeze the casserole. The best way is to cut it into portions before you freeze it. This way you can take out an individual portion and not the entire batch when you want to reheat it. You can place the casserole in the freezer for up to 3 months, but let it defrost completely overnight in the refrigerator before serving.
- When you are ready to reheat this recipe, reheat by heating through on low in a covered pan on the stove, stirring every 10 minutes. You can also place it in the microwave along with your other leftovers.
You do not have to toast the marshmallows on top of the slow sweet potato casserole. The marshmallows will not get golden brown in a slow cooker, though they will get melted and gooey.
It takes about four and a half hours in a slow cooker to cook sweet potatoes on high.
Since this is a dish that is typically made for holidays, you might want to make it ahead so that you have less to do when the big day comes. This recipe can easily be made a day in advance. However, I have found the best way to make it early is to prep everything the night before and set it up in the morning to cook or even dicing the sweet potatoes, and putting them in a ziplock bag can save tons of time on the big day.
Use 2 teaspoons cinnamon, 3/4 teaspoon nutmeg, and a 1/4 teaspoon cloves in place of pumpkin pie spice in this recipe.
Eggs are often added to sweet potato casserole to thicken it. We skip that step in this slow cooker recipe, for we add the perfect amount of liquid, so the casserole is thick without eggs.
You can make this vegan but substituting the butter with vegan butter or margarine. Though you will have to skip the marshmallows, for they are not vegan.
Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Casserole
- 4 lbs. sweet potatoes peeled and thinly diced (I use red garnet for they have the brightest color)
- 3 Tbsp. salted butter softened or melted
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/8 cup water
- 1 Tbsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup halved pecans
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the butter, brown sugar, water, pumpkin pie spice, vanilla and salt. Whisk until the ingredients are well blended.
- Place the diced sweet potatoes in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Pour the brown sugar mixture over the sweet potatoes. Gently toss until all of the sweet potatoes are fully coated.
- Cook on high for 3 1/2 – 4 hours, stirring occasionally.
- When cooking time is complete, stir until the sweet potatoes have a mashed texture. Top the sweet potatoes with the pecans and marshmallows and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- Do not add the marshmallows until ready to serve, they tend to disappear after sitting for a while.
- When cooking time is complete, use a serving spoon to scoop servings from the slow cooker directly.
Nutrition info is auto-generated. This information is an estimate; if you are on a special diet, please use your own calculations.