Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Stuffed Sweet Potatoes is a one pot meal, just add barbecue sauce and dinner is served.
I’ve made this Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Stuffed Sweet Potatoes so many times in the last few years. It’s my go to recipe when I don’t know what to cook and am looking for a meal that doesn’t have pasta, white potatoes or rice in it. I’ve finally had a chance to photograph this recipe and am excited to share how easy this meal is to make.
The recipe starts with a small pork shoulder. Look for a roast that will fit in your slow cooker and will still leave room for four good sized sweet potatoes.
I season the roast just the same as my favorite pork recipe Kalua Pig. The flavors are Hawaiian inspired. If you haven’t tried Himalayan sea salt, I highly recommend getting it just for pulled pork recipe. The Himalayan sea salt I have is in a grinder, look for it in the pepper grinder section of the spice aisle if you can’t find it with the salt.
8-9 hours on low is just enough time for the pork to get fork tender as well as the sweet potatoes.
To serve I remove the sweet potatoes on to a plate. Then I shred the meat in the slow cooker. I cut slits down the sweet potatoes, then add the shredded pork. Great toppings for these stuffed sweet potatoes are barbecue sauce, sour cream, cilantro and diced sweet onion.
Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- Slow Cooker- 6 quart or larger-oval
- 2 1/2 lb. pork shoulder 2-3 lbs; also labeled pork butt
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 1/2 tsp. Himalayan sea salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tsp. hickory liquid smoke
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 sweet potatoes medium-sized
Toppings for Serving:
- barbecue sauce
- sour cream
- cilantro chopped
- sweet onion diced
- In a large skillet set over medium-high heat add the cooking oil.
- When the oil is hot brown the pork on all sides.
- Add the pork to the slow cooker.
- Sprinkle over the salt and pepper.
- Pour on the liquid smoke.
- Place the garlic cloves and bay leaves on top of the roast.
- Add the sweet potatoes on top of the roast.
- Add the water.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8-9 hours without opening the lid during the cooking time.
- Remove the sweet potatoes to a plate, dicard bay leaves.
- Shred the pork right in in the slow cooker.
- Split open the sweet potatoes and stuff them with the shredded pork.
- Serve with desired toppings.
How to Video:
Nutrition info is auto-generated. This information is an estimate; if you are on a special diet, please use your own calculations.