Slow Cooker Root Beer Pulled Pork is a recipe a classic recipe everyone must try! Tender pork with root beer and barbecue sauce, great on buns or even rice.
Soda is often used in crock pot recipes to help tenderize the meat! Also, try my coca cola pot roast recipe!
I received this recipe from a dear friend. When I asked her for the recipe she said just plop the pork in, dump a can of root beer and add a couple of squirts of barbecue. My friend cooks her recipe for 15+ hours though I think 10 hours is a good amount of time for tender fall off the bone pork.
How to make Root Beer Pulled Pork:
You will need:
- A pork shoulder (any size works!)
- 12 oz. can root beer
- 1 cup barbecue sauce (I use Sweet Baby Rays)
- I like to rinse and pat dry my pork before adding to the slow cooker for it can be slimy. Add the pork shoulder to the slow cooker.
- Pour over the barbecue sauce and root beer.
- Cover and cook on low for 10 hours.
- Remove the pork from the slow cooker onto a sheet tray or large plate. shred the meat with two forks and discard any fat.
- Add the pork back into the slow cooker into the juices.
How to serve Root Beer Pulled Pork:
- Pile high on hamburger buns
- Serve on top of steamed white rice
- With mashed potatoes.
Should I brown the pork?
- Browning meat before adding to the slow cooker is not necessary. The slow cooker will fully cook the meat in the allotted time.
- If you feel you’d like to brown the pork you can. The cook time remains the same. Some say browning the meat can add more flavor to a dish.
Can I use a different kind of soda?
Yes! Though a different soda will make this taste different it is okay to use a different kind of soda. Try one of these instead:
- Dr. Pepper
- Coke or Pepsi
- Ginger Ale
- Diet sodas can be used but only if you are used to the flavoring of it.
- Hard cider or beer can even be used!
I’m short on time, can I put this in my instant pot?
Yes! Pork does great in the instant pot, use this recipe if you want to use an instant pot.
Can I use this recipe with chicken?
I do make a recipe similar to this with chicken, though I add a few more ingredients for chicken can have less flavor than pork. Here is my recipe for Slow Cooker Root Beer Chicken.
Other slow cooker pulled pork recipes:
- Slow Cooker Cuban Pork
- Slow Cooker Pineapple Jalapeno Pork Tacos
- Slow Cooker Beer Pulled Pork
- Slow Cooker Cheesy Cajun Pork Sandwiches
- Slow Cooker BBQ Pulled Pork
- Slow Cooker Kaula Pig
- Slow Cooker Chile Verde
Slow Cooker Root Beer Pulled Pork
- 4 lb. boneless pork shoulder often called pork butt (3-4 lb roast)
- 12 oz. root beer
- 1 cup Sweet Baby Ray’s Barbecue Sauce
- Hamburger Buns
- Add the roast, root beer, and barbecue sauce to the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 10 hours, without opening the lid during the cooking time.
- Once cooked, remove the roast and shred; discarding any fatty pieces.
- Replace the shredded meat back into the sauce remaining in the slow cooker; stir.
- Serve on your favorite buns.
Nutrition info is auto-generated. This information is an estimate; if you are on a special diet, please use your own calculations.