Slow Cooker Root Beer Pulled Pork is a recipe a classic recipe everyone must try! Tender pork with root beer and barbecue sauce, great on buns or even rice.
I received this recipe from a dear friend. When I asked her for the recipe she said just plop the pork in, dump a can of root beer and add a couple of squirts of barbecue. My friend cooks her recipe for 15+ hours though I think 10 hours is a good amount of time for tender fall off the bone pork.
How to make Root Beer Pulled Pork:
You will need:
- A pork shoulder (any size works!)
- 12 oz. can root beer
- 1 cup barbecue sauce (I use Sweet Baby Rays
- I like to rinse and pat dry my pork before adding to the slow cooker for it can be slimy. Add the pork shoulder to the slow cooker.
- Pour over the barbecue sauce and root beer.
- Cover and cook on low for 10 hours.
- Remove the pork from the slow cooker onto a sheet tray or large plate. shred the meat with two forks and discard any fat.
- Add the pork back into the slow cooker into the juices.
How to serve Root Beer Pulled Pork:
- Pile high on hamburger buns
- Serve on top of steamed white rice
- With mashed potatoes.
Should I brown the pork?
- Browning meat before adding to the slow cooker is not necessary. The slow cooker will fully cook the meat in the allotted time.
- If you feel you’d like to brown the pork you can. The cook time remains the same. Some say browning the meat can add more flavor to a dish.
Can I use a different kind of soda?
Yes! Though a different soda will make this taste different it is okay to use a different kind of soda. Try one of these instead:
- Dr. Pepper
- Coke or Pepsi
- Ginger Ale
- Diet sodas can be used but only if you are used to the flavoring of it.
- Hard cider or beer can even be used!
I’m short on time, can I put this in my instant pot?
Yes! Pork does great in the instant pot, use this recipe if you want to use an instant pot.
Can I use this recipe with chicken?
I do make a recipe similar to this with chicken, though I add a few more ingredients for chicken can have less flavor than pork. Here is my recipe for Slow Cooker Root Beer Chicken.
Other slow cooker pulled pork recipes:
- Slow Cooker Cuban Pork
- Slow Cooker Pineapple Jalapeno Pork Tacos
- Slow Cooker Beer Pulled Pork
- Slow Cooker Cheesy Cajun Pork Sandwiches
- Slow Cooker BBQ Pulled Pork
- Slow Cooker Kaula Pig
- Slow Cooker Chile Verde
Slow Cooker Root Beer Pulled Pork
- 4 lb. boneless pork shoulder often called pork butt (3-4 lb roast)
- 12 oz. root beer
- 1 cup Sweet Baby Ray’s Barbecue Sauce
- Hamburger Buns
- Add the roast, root beer, and barbecue sauce to the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 10 hours, without opening the lid during the cooking time.
- Once cooked, remove the roast and shred; discarding any fatty pieces.
- Replace the shredded meat back into the sauce remaining in the slow cooker; stir.
- Serve on your favorite buns.
Nutrition info is auto-generated. This information is an estimate; if you are on a special diet, please use your own calculations.