This Slow Cooker Salsa Verde Chicken recipe features boneless skinless chicken breasts, two types of peppers, and delicious salsa verde for a versatile meal that’s sure to be loved by your whole family. With this dump-and-go style, you’ll have dinner on the table in as little as four hours.
Try salsa verde in another yummy dish like my Slow Cooker Chile Verde. It’s also the highlight of this Slow Cooker Green Chile Cheesy Chicken recipe.
What is salsa verde chicken?
Salsa verde is a common Mexican ingredient made of finely chopped onion, garlic, cilantro, parsley, and hot peppers. While you can make it from scratch, it’s typically purchased premade and jarred from the grocery store.
Its flavor is said to be as spicy (or even spicier) than other salsas. But for this recipe, the spice doesn’t override the taste. It pairs well with the other peppers, onions, and seasonings. When you mix the salsa verde with chicken, you’ve created a one-pot meal that can be served in several different ways. It’s easy to make and is sure to feed a large family or crowd.
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts: This is the go-to chicken cut because it cooks to tender perfection and shreds easily.
- Salsa Verde: The highlight of this recipe is the salsa verde. You can use the store bought kind instead of making it from scratch. I like to find a hatch chile salsa verde, the kind with charred bits of peppers.
- Peppers: Jalapeno and poblano peppers are diced and added to the crock pot along with everything else. The poblano pepper is similar to the green bell pepper but with a little kick. The jalapeno’s spiciness will depend on the kind you get.
- Onion: A small white onion is diced and used for the flavor and texture of the dish.
- Seasonings: Garlic, salt, and black pepper add the perfect amount of flavor to the chicken verde.
Step One – Add the chicken breasts to the slow cooker. Then add the salsa verde, peppers, onion, garlic, and salt and pepper.
Step Two – Use a spoon to move the ingredients around the chicken.
Step Three – Cover and cook on LOW for 6 hours or HIGH for 4 hours.
Step Four – When the chicken is finished cooking, use two forks to shred the chicken directly in the slow cooker. Serve and enjoy!
How to Serve
- Salsa verde chicken can be served over a bed of cooked white rice or noodles such as egg noodles.
- Use it as a topping to make a Mexican taco chicken salad with tortilla chips as the base. Don’t forget to add toppings such as sour cream, diced tomatoes, extra jalapenos, chopped cilantro, and melted white cheese. A squeeze of lime juice would be good as well.
- You can also serve a nice helping of this chicken as is with a few sides like black beans and Mexican rice with more salsa verde spread on top.
- This shredded chicken is also the perfect chicken for making burrito bowls and rice bowls.
Yes. Chicken thighs will work for this recipe as well. You can also use chicken tenders.
You can certainly do this; however, it will shred just as easily kept inside the crockpot.
Place any remaining chicken inside an airtight container and store in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Yes! This chicken can be turned into a casserole style dish. Simply add the remainder to a baking dish, cover with shredded cheese, and bake until warmed and the cheese is melted. Then you would have a baked salsa verde chicken.
Want to make more magic in your crockpot? Stay up to date and subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Tik Tok, and YouTube.
Slow Cooker Salsa Verde Chicken
- 2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 16 oz. salsa verde I look for a "hatch" chile variety of salsa that has some charred bits in it.
- 1 poblano pepper diced
- 1 jalapeno diced
- 1 small white onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 ½ tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- Add the chicken breasts to the slow cooker. Add the salsa verde, peppers, onion, garlic and salt and pepper.
- Use a spoon to move the ingredients around the chicken.
- Cook on LOW for 6 hours or HIGH for 4 hours.
- If you want a milder dish, remove the seeds from your peppers.
- Chicken thighs will work for this recipe as well. You can also use chicken tenders.
- Place any remaining chicken inside an airtight container and store in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Nutrition info is auto-generated. This information is an estimate; if you are on a special diet, please use your own calculations.
Leave a Reply