Slow Cooker Green Chile Cheesy Chicken is saucy and delicious, great over rice!
Hi again! I’ve wanted to do this recipe for Green Chile Cheesy Chicken for years. This recipe has boneless skinless chicken thighs, I tested this recipe with chicken breasts and I wasn’t pleased. Chicken breasts may be good if they were thin cut, the chicken breasts were too thick and the flavorings of this recipe didn’t get to the inside of the breasts.
I stood on the salsa aisle for at least 10 minutes trying to decide what green salsa to use. There were quite a few choices, I chose Mrs. Renfro’s Jalapeno Green Salsa. You could use tomatillo green salsa if you’d like, I’m sure it would be just as good.
I don’t use the entire jar of salsa, my first test of this recipe I did use a whole jar, it was a bit much and it made a green chile soup and the cheese was floating on top.
This Green Chile Cheesy Chicken with rice and a side of tortilla chips is a great meal for a weeknight dinner or even a Saturday night dinner with Margaritas instead of dining out. Have a great week! I’ll be back next week with more recipes.
Slow Cooker Green Chile Cheesy Chicken
- Slow Cooker – 4 quart or larger
- 2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 1/2 cups green salsa I use Mrs. Renfros Jalapeno salsa, though a tomatillo salsa would work fine
- 1 poblano pepper diced
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Colby-Jack Cheese
- Rice for serving
- Add the chicken to the slow cooker.
- Sprinkle over the salt, pepper and chili powder.
- Sprinkle over the diced poblano chile and pour over the salsa.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 4 hours, or about 6 on low would work fine too.
- When the cooking time is done, sprinkle over the cheese.
- Cover the slow cooker for about 10 more minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- Serve over rice if desired. Enjoy!