Classic pantry favorites come together to create a queso chicken that you and your family will enjoy. This recipe has all the Mexican flavors of taco seasoning, Rotel, and salsa con queso. Whether you’re looking for an easy weeknight meal or a dish for game day, you’ll want to add this to your meal plan!
Why this recipe works
This meal comes to the rescue when time isn’t on your side. The prep time takes minutes, and thanks to the slow cooker, you can start it and walk away. The finishing touches happen right before serving, making putting it on the table even easier.
It’s also worth mentioning that this recipe can be used in so many ways (suggestions below). If you are feeding a big family and looking to stretch this over a couple of days, you can do so in creative ways. Trust me when I say this will be your new favorite weeknight dinner.
- Chicken Breasts: skinless, boneless chicken breasts are cooked to tender perfection and shredded right before serving.
- Rotel: made of diced tomatoes and green chiles, adding a kick of flavor.
- Taco Seasoning: necessary for adding the Mexican flavor to the dish.
- Queso: salsa con queso is a cheese dip that helps create a creamy texture and dip-like base.
- Cream Cheese: adds a cheese-like flavor and smooth texture.
- Juice: the juice of a lime balances all of the flavors in the queso chicken.
Step One – Place the four chicken breasts into a nonstick cooking sprayed crockpot.
Step Two – Sprinkle in the packet of taco seasoning.
Step Three – Add in the can of diced tomatoes and green chiles.
Step Four – Chop the cream cheese into small blocks and place them on top.
Step Five – Cover the slow cooker and cook on low for 5 to 6 hours.
Step Six – After cooking time and the chicken is tender and fully cooked, shred the tender chicken breasts with two forks.
Step Seven – Pour in the con queso dip and lime juice.
Step Eight – Stir the entire mixture together. Serve and enjoy!
How to serve
- Queso chicken can easily be made into tacos, quesadillas, and/or enchiladas. All you’ll need are crunchy taco shells or soft flour tortillas. Add black beans or cooked rice for a heartier taco.
- For a salad-like option, start with a bed of taco shells and spread some queso chicken on top, followed by your favorite toppings (diced tomatoes, sliced avocado, chopped black olives, fresh cilantro, jalapenos, bell peppers, etc.).
- Turn this mixture into queso chicken pasta by cooking your choice of pasta noodles according to the package and then adding it to the queso chicken.
- Nachos are the absolute best option for the chicken. Just pile the queso chicken on corn tortilla chips.
Ensure the chicken cools to room temperature before transferring it to an airtight container. You can then store it in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Hamburger meat would be the ideal meat to replace the boneless skinless chicken. You’ll want to precook the hamburger before adding it to the crockpot.
To taste, use a tablespoon of chili powder, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon onion powder, and salt and pepper.
Slow Cooker Queso Chicken
- 2-4 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breast skinless chicken breast
- 1.25 oz. taco seasoning (one packet)
- 8 oz. cream cheese
- 10 oz. Rotel Tomatoes (can diced tomatoes and chiles)
- 15 oz. salsa con queso (jarred nacho cheese)
- 1 lime juiced
- Prepare the slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray. Place the chicken breasts in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Sprinkle the taco seasoning over the chicken and then dot with the cream cheese. Pour the diced tomatoes and chilies over the cream cheese.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on low for 5 to 6 hours.
- Shred the chicken with two forks. Then, stir in the salsa con queso and lime juice.
- Serve over nachos, tacos, or rice with your choice of toppings.
How to Video:
Nutrition info is auto-generated. This information is an estimate; if you are on a special diet, please use your own calculations.