A generous chuck roast is slowly cooked in salsa verde and a variety of peppers, onions, and seasonings for a delicious meal that’s sure to be a huge hit with the whole family. The meal prep is quick and the flavor is amazing, making this a delicious salsa verde beef recipe for Taco Tuesday (or any day of the week)!
Why You’ll Love This Salsa Verde Shredded Beef Recipe
When you’re looking for a unique way to cook a chuck roast, serve salsa verde beef! Not only does it put a twist on a beef roast, but it also doesn’t call for very many ingredients yet still packs in so much flavor. Cooking it in the crock pot takes the guesswork out of how to cook it perfectly tender, and you won’t have to stress about what to put on the dinner table.
My family loves it when I serve up this tender meat, along with a few options for turning it into a full meal. Keep reading just to see how easy this is to make, along with a variety of ways to serve it. If you are looking for a different version, try my Slow Cooker Chile Verde, or Slow Cooker Salsa Verde Chicken.
- Chuck Roast: To make sure you have plenty to serve, grab a roast that’s between 3-4 lbs. A round roast will work as well. We also use chuck roast in our Misssissippi Pot Roast Recipe.
- Peppers: You’ll use a variety of peppers, including a poblano pepper and a couple of jalapenos, both diced.
- Onion: I recommend using a medium white onion for this shredded salsa verde beef recipe.
- Salsa Verde: You can find a jar of roasted salsa verde in the Mexican section of almost any grocery store.
- Garlic: No need to mince them. Toss them in whole and let the delicious flavors soak in during the cooking time.
- Seasonings: Salt, black pepper, and cumin add the perfect amount of flavor to this shredded beef.
Step One – Add the chuck roast to the slow cooker.
Step Two – Pour over the salsa and add the jalapeno, poblano pepper, onion, and garlic cloves. Add the salt and pepper and cumin.
Step Three – Cover and cook on LOW for 9-10 hours.
Step Four – Remove the meat onto a plate. Shred the meat with two forks. Discard any fat.
Step Five – Before adding the meat back to the juices in the slow cooker, you will want to degrease that liquid first. I do this by laying paper towels over the top.
Step Six – Add the meat back into the sauce that’s left in the slow cooker. Serve and enjoy!
How to Serve
- This salsa verde beef can be used to make burrito bowls, beef tacos, or a shredded beef taco salad. Serve your favorite toppings like sour cream, red onions, fresh cilantro, diced tomatoes, a squeeze of lime juice, and green salsa.
- It also tastes great on top of cooked rice (think cilantro lime rice), cauliflower rice, or tortilla chips.
- As for sides, it pairs perfectly with refried beans (try my slow cooker refried beans), sliced avocado, and chopped veggies that have been fried or roasted.
Chili powder, garlic powder, and other flavors of store bought salsa can be used used to enhance the flavor.
Add any remaining beef into an airtight container and store in the fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat over medium to medium high heat until warmed throughout.
Yes! Swap the chuck roast with pork shoulder, chicken breasts, chicken thighs, or any type of beef roast of your choice.
Slow Cooker Salsa Verde Beef
- 3-4 lbs. beef chuck roast
- 1 poblano pepper diced
- 2 jalapenos diced
- 1 medium white onion diced
- 16 oz. roasted salsa verde (jarred)
- 4 whole garlic cloves
- 2 tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. cumin
- Add the chuck roast to the slow cooker.
- Next pour over the the salsa.
- Add the jalapeno, poblano pepper, onion and garlic cloves.
- Add the salt, pepper and cumin.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 9-10 hours.
- Remove the meat on to a plate. Shred the meat with two forks. Discard any fat. Before adding the meat back to the juices in the slow cooker, you will want to degrease that liquid first. I do this by laying paper towels over the top.
- Add the meat into the sauce that's left in the slow cooker.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Add additional jalapenos for a spicier beef verde.
- Swap the chuck roast with pork shoulder, chicken breasts, chicken thighs, or any type of beef roast of your choice.
- Add any remaining beef into an airtight container and store in the fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat over medium to medium high heat until warmed throughout.
Nutrition info is auto-generated. This information is an estimate; if you are on a special diet, please use your own calculations.