Apricot chicken has only a few ingredients and is sweet and tangy, great over rice for an easy peasy meal.
Hi all! It’s Monday, another week of meals to plan again. I realized I haven’t posted a super simple slow cooker meal in a while. This is a dump and go recipe, with no chopping involved as well. I saw this recipe on Pinterest a few weeks a go.
There are many variations of this recipe. Some of the recipes I found use Russian dressing or Italian dressing, and some use apricot-pineapple or peach preserves (wouldn’t be apricot chicken I suppose if you used the peach preserves). It really depends on what your store carries. I had planned to use Russian dressing and Fred Meyer had none, so the Catalina dressing was my plan b. The dressing, preserves and the onion soup mix are a magical mixture. The sauce to me tasted slightly Asian, especially paired with the rice.
The sauce turns out this vibrant gold color. Since I used chicken thighs I de-greased the sauce before I served it. I do this by taking a paper towel and laying it flat over the sauce, and after a few seconds most of the grease from the dish ends up on the paper towel. So easy.
More chicken recipes for your slow cooker:
- Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Wraps
- Slow Cooker Barbecue Chicken Quesadillas
- Slow Cooker Sweet and Spicy Chicken
- Slow Cooker Greek Drumsticks
- Slow Cooker Green Chile Chicken
- Slow Cooker One Pot Chicken Burrito Filling
Slow Cooker Apricot Chicken
- Slow Cooker – 4 quart or larger
- 2 lbs. bone skinless chicken thighs
- 1 cup apricot preserves
- 1 cup Catalina salad dressing
- 1 oz. packet Lipton onion soup mix
- 1/8 tsp. black pepper
- 2 pinches red pepper flakes optional
- Place the chicken in to the bottom of the slow cooker. Add the apricot preserves, Catalina dressing, onion soup mix, pepper and pepper flakes. Stir the sauce ingredients together over the chicken.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6 hours.
- I like to de-grease the sauce before serving. I do this by taking a paper towel and laying it flat over the sauce. I pull up the paper towel after a few seconds and all the grease sticks to the paper towel. Easy peasy.
- Serve with rice.