Give your shredded chicken a completely new taste with this Slow Cooker Apricot Chicken recipe. Apricot preserves are mixed with classic Catalina dressing for a sweet and savory sauce mix that is absolutely delicious. Take the guesswork out of what to cook for dinner tonight and give this easy recipe a try.
Pair this apricot chicken with my Slow Cooker Honey Butter Rolls and a side of Slow Cooker Mac and Cheese.
Why this apricot chicken recipe works
Putting a delicious meal on the dinner table shouldn’t be stressful. Whether you’re looking for something quick for busy weeknights or something to bring to a potluck, this crockpot apricot chicken recipe has you covered. With a quick prep time and cook time, you can start this meal in the morning and have it ready by dinner.
The ingredients are minimal and are considered some of the most common pantry staples that can easily be found at your local grocery store. This is one of those crockpot recipes to keep on hand when you’re looking for a dump-and-go main course that pairs with just about anything.
- Chicken Breasts: Boneless skinless chicken breasts soak up the flavors of the preserves, dressing, and seasoning and are also easy to shred.
- Apricot Jam: Use any brand you prefer. Some of the most popular are Bonne Maman, Smucker’s, and Galil.
- Catalina Dressing: This dressing is similar to a sweet tomato flavor, which is why it’s ideal to use in salads, pasta salads, burgers, and chicken.
- Seasonings: Onion soup mix, red pepper flakes, and black pepper add great flavor to the chicken and marry perfectly with the dressing and jam.
Step One – Place the chicken into the bottom of the slow cooker.
Step Two – Add the apricot preserves, Catalina dressing, onion soup mix, pepper, and red pepper flakes.
Step Three – Stir the sauce ingredients together over the chicken. Cover and cook chicken on LOW for 6 hours.
Step Four – Shred the chicken with two forks or leave the chicken breasts or thighs whole. Serve and enjoy!
How to serve
- One of the most common ways to serve this shredded chicken is over a bed of cooked white rice or brown rice.
- Turn this meal into a tasty fun meal by serving it as sandwiches on white bread, Italian bread, or hoagie buns.
- This chicken also pairs well with baked beans, a green salad, coleslaw, mashed potatoes, and/or a fruit salad.
Yes! Chicken thighs will cook and shred just the same as using chicken breasts.
I do this by taking a paper towel and laying it flat over the sauce. I pull up the paper towel after a few seconds and all the grease sticks to the paper towel. Easy peasy.
Although this recipe is “apricot” chicken, you can play around with different jam flavors such as pineapple jam, peach jam, or strawberry jam.
Deviating from the original recipe will result in different tastes and flavors. Same as the jam substitutions, you can play around with using French dressing, Russian dressing, or ranch dressing.
You can add fresh apricots, add onions that have been sliced or diced, and green bell peppers.
Store any leftover apricot chicken in an airtight container and keep it in the fridge for up to 4 days. Reheat over medium heat on the stovetop until warmed throughout.
Want to make more magic in your crockpot? Stay up to date and subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Tik Tok, and YouTube.
Slow Cooker Apricot Chicken
- 2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts or boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 cup apricot preserves
- 1 cup Catalina salad dressing
- 1 oz. packet Lipton onion soup mix
- 1/8 tsp. black pepper
- 2 pinches red pepper flakes optional
- Place the chicken in to the bottom of the slow cooker. Add the apricot preserves, Catalina dressing, onion soup mix, pepper and pepper flakes. Stir the sauce ingredients together over the chicken.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6 hours.
- I like to de-grease the sauce before serving. I do this by taking a paper towel and laying it flat over the sauce. I pull up the paper towel after a few seconds and all the grease sticks to the paper towel. Easy peasy.
- Shred the chicken with two forks or leave the chicken breasts or thighs whole.
- Serve with rice.
How to Video:
- Store any leftover apricot chicken in an airtight container and keep it in the fridge for up to 4 days. Reheat over medium heat on the stovetop until warmed throughout.
- Other jams that can be used are peach, pineapple or even strawberry.
- Other serving ideas are on buns or over mashed potatoes.
Nutrition info is auto-generated. This information is an estimate; if you are on a special diet, please use your own calculations.
Steve French says
I used orange marmalade and half cup of soy sauce.
Used to call this “Not the Same Old Chicken.” Same recipe ingredients except pineapple preserves instead of apricot. So good.
Wanda Bean says
I have not tried this recipe yet. But I will soon. I have a recipe that I have been making in the oven. The only thing that I changed in my recipe and will do to this. I added pineapple tidbits.
Natalie Odom says
So pleased! Talk about easy! As a working Mom, I am so thankful for easy ingredients, delicious eats and easy prep!!