Sweet and Tangy Slow Cooker Apricot Chicken. Only a few pantry ingredients are needed to make this easy dinner!
Hi all! It’s Monday, another week of meals to plan again. I realized I haven’t posted a super simple slow cooker meal in a while. This is a dump and go recipe, with no chopping involved as well. I saw this recipe on Pinterest a few weeks a go. There are many variations of this recipe. Some of the recipes I found use Russian dressing or Italian dressing, and some use apricot-pineapple or peach preserves (wouldn’t be apricot chicken I suppose if you used the peach preserves). It really depends on what your store carries. I had planned to use Russian dressing and Fred Meyer had none, so the Catalina dressing was my plan b. The dressing, preserves and the onion soup mix are a magical mixture. The sauce to me tasted slightly Asian, especially paired with the rice.
The sauce turns out this vibrant gold color. Since I used chicken thighs I de-greased the sauce before I served it. I do this by taking a paper towel and laying it flat over the sauce, and after a few seconds most of the grease from the dish ends up on the paper towel. So easy.
I made rice in my new Cuckoo rice maker. When the rice was done cooking I threw the asparagus on top and let it steam for about 15 minutes more. First time I have ever done that. One less pan to clean!
Slow Cooker Apricot Chicken
- 1.5- 2 lbs. bone skin-less chicken thighs
- 1 cup apricot preserves
- 1 cup Catalina salad dressing
- 1 oz. packet Lipton onion soup mix
- ⅛ tsp. black pepper
- 2 pinches red pepper flakes optional
Slow Cooker Size:
- 4 quart or larger
- Place the chicken in to the bottom of the slow cooker. Add the apricot preserves, Catalina dressing, onion soup mix, pepper and pepper flakes. Stir the sauce ingredients together over the chicken.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6 hours.
- I like to de-grease the sauce before serving. I do this by taking a paper towel and laying it flat over the sauce. I pull up the paper towel after a few seconds and all the grease sticks to the paper towel. Easy peasy.
- Serve with rice.
You may also like: Slow Cooker Six Layer Dinner