Make Easy Slow Cooker Orange Chicken for dinner tonight. Has tender cubed chicken with an orange barbecue flavored sauce, fabulous with an easy side such as steamed white rice or green vegetables.
You will love this recipe for easy orange chicken in the slow cooker. I use a method where you halfway cook the chicken in the slow cooker, drain off the liquid that can make the dish watery, then add the orange sauce and cook longer. What you have is a thick and wonderful sauce and, quite frankly, the easiest and healthiest orange chicken you can make!
- Chicken breasts – Boneless skinless chicken breasts for this recipe. Cube your chicken or have your butcher do this.
- Barbecue sauce – Use your favorite; we usually use sweet baby rays. Sometimes we use spicy barbecue sauce for a flavor variation.
- Orange marmalade – You will find this where the jam is at the store. You can find Smucker’s sweet orange marmalade or even use store-brand.
- Salt and Pepper – Use a sprinkle of salt and pepper over the chicken before cooking.
- Sesame seeds – Optional for garnish, but does add some texture.
Step One – Cube your raw chicken breast and add it to the crockpot—Cook for 1.5 hours on high. Drain off the watery liquid from the slow cooker with a spoon or dab with paper towels.
Step Two – Mix together orange marmalade and barbecue sauce in a bowl.
Step Three – Add the marmalade barbecue mixture to the partially cooked chicken in the slow cooker.
Step Four – Stir and cook for two more hours on high.
How to serve
- Steamed Rice – If you have a rice cooker, this meal will be a snap! I usually cook 2 cups of rice, enough for leftovers.
- Fried Rice – Who doesn’t love fried rice. I often use this fried rice recipe from Spaceships and Laserbeams.
- Green Vegetables – Steam a pot of broccoli florets, green beans, or snap peas to accompany this simple crockpot orange chicken.
Though adding vegetables will make the sauce less thick, it’s a great way to make this a one-pot meal. You can add small pieces of broccoli or sugar snap peas during the last hour of cooking.
Both barbecue sauce and orange marmalade are on the sweet side. You can use hoisin sauce instead of barbecue to lessen the sweetness. Instead, you can add one tablespoon of soy sauce to cut the sweetness down.
You can keep the orange chicken in the fridge for up to four days or in the freezer for three months.
Add 1/2 teaspoon of red pepper flakes to add some heat to this orange chicken recipe. Or you can add two teaspoons of hot sriracha sauce.
Slow Cooker Orange Chicken Recipe
- 2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts (raw)
- 1/2 cup orange marmalade I use Smucker's brand
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce I use Sweet Baby Rays
- salt and pepper to taste
- sesame seeds for garnish
- Cut the raw chicken into bite sized pieces and place into the bottom of your slow cooker.
- Sprinkle with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook on HIGH 1.5 hours. The chicken will form its own juices, no need to add anything extra.
- Drain juices from crockpot. I do this by tilting the crockpot and spoon it off, or by using paper towels to dab the moisture.
- In a small bowl mix together orange marmalade and BBQ sauce.
- Add the sauce to the chicken in the slow cooker and stir.
- Cover and cook an additional 2 hours on HIGH.
- Serve hot, sprinkle with sesame seeds if desired. Enjoy!
Nutrition info is auto-generated. This information is an estimate; if you are on a special diet, please use your own calculations.