These slow cooker honey butter rolls are subtly sweet and pillowy soft. The honey butter flavor comes through with each light fluffy bite. The edges of the crock pot rolls are gently browned to make the perfect balance between fluffy and crisp.
Have another go at cooking bread in the crockpot with my Slow Cooker Coconut Bread Pudding recipe. It is bursting with coconut and lime flavor and has a soft texture that will leave your tastebuds wanting more.
Can I make dinner rolls in the slow cooker?
Slow cooker dinner rolls are by far the easiest way to “bake” rolls, especially if you are new to making bread. This bread recipe calls for minimal ingredients with a moderate cooking time. When you are looking for a super easy way to make delicious fresh rolls, using this recipe just makes sense.
Just 10 minutes of prep time makes these slow cooker rolls super easy and totally hands-off once you turn the crockpot on. These are sure to please the whole crowd and quickly become one of your favorite recipes. Did you know you can also make from scratch Slow Cooker cornbread too!
- Flour: Using bread flour will ensure your dinner rolls turn out nice and fluffy.
- Yeast: Always used in bread recipes to help make it rise.
- Honey: Adds a slight touch of sweetness.
- Other Ingredients: One egg, melted butter, milk, and salt are all classic ingredients for making homemade bread and dinner rolls.
Step One – Add the yeast and a spoonful of honey (about 1 tsp) to the bowl to a measuring cup of warmed milk.
Step Two – Let this mixture sit for about 5 minutes. It should start to bubble or foam.
Step Three – Add the yeast mixture to the flour into the bowl of a stand mixer.
Step Four – Add the remaining ingredients.
Step Five – Make sure all ingredients are ready for mixing.
Step Six – Mix on low speed with a dough hook for 7-9 minutes, until the dough forms a sticky ball.
Step Seven – Lightly spread flour onto your flat work surface and put the dough ball on the surface.
Step Eight – Divide the dough into 12 equal parts.
Step Nine – Roll each part into a ball and place it in the slow cooker lined with parchment paper.
Step Ten – Allow rolls to sit in the covered without heat for 15 minutes to rise slightly. Cook on HIGH heat for 2 hours or until golden brown. Check for doneness at the 2-hour mark. Do not overcook.
How to Serve Slow Cooker Dinner Rolls
- These crock pot dinner rolls can always be served as is with a dab of melted butter on top. Pop open the inside and add a spread of jelly for a quick breakfast treat. These rolls are more on the sweeter side, but still great with any dinner.
- You can also have these rolls with a variety of butter flavors such as cinnamon honey butter, Amish peanut butter spread, or apple butter.
- Enjoy these rolls alongside pasta, a southern meal like Slow Cooker Marry Me Chicken, or with your favorite dish.
These rolls can be enjoyed with anything, especially those yummy holiday meals! Another great idea is to try them as sliders too.
A crockpot is the most essential item. A 6-quart crockpot was used in this recipe though other sizes can work well too. A standing kitchen mixer with a dough hook was also used but this is not a necessity. You can easily use a spoon and your hands to knead the dough. You’ll knead for about 10 minutes or until your dough is stretchy.
You need to add more flour to your mixture until a ball begins to form. Add 1/4th at a time and mix for 1-2 minutes before adding more.
No, it’s not recommended. The yeast is active, and making them beforehand could affect the roll’s ability to rise correctly.
Nothing is wrong, and this is normal. There will be condensation on the lid as they cook, you do not need to put a towel under the lid.
In this recipe, 2% was used but it will still work with whole milk. Skim milk and fat-free are not recommended as they do not have a high enough fat content.
It is critical for the milk to be lukewarm when adding the yeast. Yeast does not activate well in cold liquid, and very hot liquid can kill it, causing it to not ever activate.
You could; however, when baking bread, you will yield a better result by using bread flour. For health purposes, you could also use whole wheat flour or gf flour.
Slow Cooker Honey Butter Rolls
- Stand Mixer with Dough Hook
- ¾ cup milk warm
- 4 Tbsp. honey divided
- 2 ¼ tsp. dry active yeast 1 packet
- 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter melted
- 1 large egg
- 3 ⅔ cup bread flour
- ¾ tsp. salt
- Line the bottom of the crockpot with parchment paper. To make it fit better you can cut it into a kite/diamond shape.
- Place the milk in a bowl and warm it for 20-30 seconds in the microwave. Do not heat it too much, you want it slightly warm or lukewarm.
- Add the yeast and a spoonful of honey (about 1 tsp) to the bowl and stir. Let this mixture sit for about 5 minutes. It should start to bubble or foam.
- Add the yeast mixture and the rest of the ingredients to the mixing bowl. Mix on low speed with the dough hook for 7-9 minutes, until the dough forms a sticky ball. If the dough is not forming a ball add in 1/4th cup of flour at a time until it begins to form a ball.
- Lightly spread flour onto your flat work surface and put the dough ball on the surface.
- Divide the dough into 12 equal parts.
- Roll each part into a ball and place it in the crockpot.
- Allow rolls to sit in the covered crockpot without heat for 15 minutes to rise slightly.
- Turn the crockpot on high heat and cook for 2 hours. At 2 hours check to see if the sides are cooked by pulling up on the parchment paper and feeling the side of the bread. It should be starting to harden and brown.
- Remove from the crockpot and gently tear apart to serve.
Nutrition info is auto-generated. This information is an estimate; if you are on a special diet, please use your own calculations.