You’re just a few ingredients and a couple of hours of cooking time away from sinking your teeth into the moistest slow cooker cornbread. This crock pot cornbread recipe features ingredients you most likely already have on hand and is sure to get 5 stars from your whole family.
Why you would love this crock pot cornbread recipe
If you’ve skipped making your own homemade cornbread and opted for the Jiffy corn muffin mix because of the fear of messing it up, this is the recipe for you! You’ll be surprised how easy it is to make the perfect crockpot cornbread.
The corn bread mix is made with simple ingredients like all purpose white flour, yellow corn meal, baking powder, sugar, and milk. Everything is mixed together in a bowl before being poured into your slow cooker until done. The next time you plan on cooking cornbread, save oven space and use this super easy recipe. We also love to make slow cooker dinner rolls.
- Yellow Corn Meal: This helps give the cornbread its yellow look and grainy (but not too much) texture.
- All-Purpose Flour: When mixed with the corn meal, you end up with a combination of fluffy corn bread.
- Sugar: Granulated sugar, or white sugar, adds the right amount of sweetness that’s not too much or too little. You can always add more or less depending on your sweet tooth preferences.
- Baking Powder: This is always used to help baked goods rise.
- Salt: Adding salt enhances and balances the flavor, especially when there is sugar involved.
- Wet Ingredients: Milk, large eggs, and vegetable oil are the remaining ingredients needed to make the cornbread batter.
Step One – In a medium mixing bowl, add the cornmeal, sugar, flour, baking powder, and salt.
Step Two – Stir until well combined.
Step Three – In another bowl, add together the milk, beaten eggs, and vegetable oil.
Step Four – Stir the wet ingredients together until well combined.
Step Five – Pour the milk mixture into the flour mixture.
Step Six – Stir everything together but be careful not to overmix.
Step Seven – Grease the inside of your slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray or butter and pour batter into the prepared slow cooker, ensuring an even spread.
Step Eight – Place a paper towel over the slow cooker before covering it with the lid to absorb excess moisture while cooking. Cover and cook on HIGH heat and cook for 1 ½ to 2 hours or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
What to serve with cornbread
- Make this recipe to enjoy a nice and light bread addition to any weeknight dinner, especially something like Slow Cooker Beef Stew or Slow Cooker Pork Roast with Gravy.
- Add toppings such as melted butter (salted butter tastes excellent), and a drizzle of honey, or top it with creamed corn.
- Eat cornbread by itself or with other sides like corn on the cob and green beans.
Recipe FAQS and Variations
If you prefer a slightly sweeter cornbread, you can increase the amount of sugar to 1 cup.
For added flavor, you can incorporate mix-ins such as corn kernels (for a corn flavor), diced jalapenos, or shredded cheese into the batter before cooking.
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2-3 days.
Absolutely! I would store it in the fridge until you are ready to bake. Though, the best result is making it just before cooking.
No, the center will not be set if you double this recipe.
Slow Cooker Cornbread
- 1 ½ cups yellow corn meal
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 ½ Tbsp. baking powder
- 1 ½ tsp. salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3 large eggs Beaten
- ¾ cup vegetable oil
- In a mixing bowl, add the cornmeal, sugar, flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir until well combined.
- In another bowl, whisk together the milk, beaten eggs, and vegetable oil.
- Gradually pour the milk mixture into the flour mixture, stirring until just combined. Avoid overmixing.
- Grease the inside of your slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray or butter.
- Pour the cornbread batter into the greased slow cooker, ensuring an even spread.
- Place a paper towel over the slow cooker before covering with the lid to absorb excess moisture while cooking.
- Set the slow cooker to high heat and cook for 1 ½ to 2 hours or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Once done, carefully remove the slow cooker insert and let the cornbread cool for approximately 10 minutes.
- Cut into slices and serve warm. Enjoy!
- If you prefer a slightly sweeter cornbread, you can increase the amount of sugar to 1 cup.
- For added flavor, you can incorporate mix-ins such as corn kernels, diced jalapenos, or shredded cheese into the batter before cooking.
- Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2-3 days.
- Do not double this recipe, it will not set in the middle.
Nutrition info is auto-generated. This information is an estimate; if you are on a special diet, please use your own calculations.