When Sweet Baby Ray’s asks if you could create a game day recipe using their sauce you say HECK YES! My recipe I created is Sweet Baby Ray’s Pulled Pork Chow Down. I am a huge Sweet Baby Ray’s Fan, but most people know this already. The crock pot and Sweet Baby’s Rays are best friends. You can put this sauce on just about any meat in your crock pot and it turns out incredible.
Are you ready for this recipe? This isn’t your typical game day recipe, this is like the mother of all game day recipes. I seasoned a pork shoulder, seared it, and placed it in my slow cooker. I added Sweet Baby Ray’s Barbecue Sauce, apple cider, onion, cilantro and jalapeño (exact recipe below under the photos). I cooked this pork for 8 hours on LOW. I then shredded it up with two forks, right in the sauce. I cooked up a double batch of cornbread in the oven in a 9×13 pan. I served the Sweet Baby Ray’s Pulled Pork over the cut pieces of cornbread, topped with more sauce, sour cream, cheese, onion, jalapeño, and some cilantro for garnish. Your guests won’t be expecting such an awesome game day meal. This meal reminds me of grub you would get off of a food truck!
- 5-6 pounds pork shoulder I used 2 small roasts that equaled 6 pounds
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 2-3 Tbsp. cooking oil vegetable or canola
- 1/2 cup diced sweet onion
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 tsp. diced jalapeno leave out if you don't like spicy
- 1 cup Sweet Baby Ray's Original Barbecue Sauce
- 1 cup Apple Cider
For Serving the Chow Downs:
- Prepared Cornbread I made a double batch of store bought cornbread mix in a 9x13 pan
- Sweet Baby Ray's Barbecue Sauce
- Sour cream
- Shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Diced sweet onion
- In a small bowl combine the pepper, salt, onion powder, garlic powder and paprika. Remove the pork from its packaging and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Sprinkle the seasoning mix you just made onto the pork roast.
- Set a large skillet to medium-high heat.
- Add enough oil to coat the bottom of the pan. Sear the roast on all sides.
- Place the seasoned pork roast into a 6-quart slow cooker.
- Add the onion, cilantro, jalapeno Sweet Baby Ray's Barbecue Sauce to the top of the roast. Add the apple cider around the roast.
- Cover, and cook on LOW for 8 hours.
- Shred the meat with 2 fork right in the slow cooker, discarding any fat.
- Serve the shredded pork over cornbread topped with Sweet Baby Ray's Barbecue Sauce, sour cream, cheese, sweet onion, cilantro and jalapenos.
Disclosure: Though I received product and/or compensation for this post, all opinions are my own.