This Slow Cooker One Pot Chicken Burrito Filling has the chicken, veggies, rice and beans; all in one pot!
You won’t believe how easy this meal is. One pot meals are a must if you are tired of cooking, or are short on time. I’ve too often made burritos for dinner and had 3 different pots going, one for the meat, one for beans and one for the rice. Not for this recipe, everything get cooked in one pot and no pre-browning the chicken!
Below is the chicken, salsa, beans, onion, bell pepper and seasonings. DO NOT add the rice at this point. After the cooking time is done I add uncooked Minute® rice to the chicken and sauce. You will find in my blog I do not recommend standard rice in the slow cooker. Standard rice likes a lot of heat, hotter than what the slow cooker can produce, and will turn out gummy in the slow cooker.
This is what it looks like after cooking.
I then shred the chicken and add uncooked Minute rice®, then cook for 20 more minutes.
This is my kind of recipe, a no fuss easy dinner. I hope you give it a try! Have a great weekend!
Slow Cooker One Pot Chicken Burrito Filling
- Slow Cooker – 5 quart or larger
- 1 cup sweet onion diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 15 oz pinto beans drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp. cilantro chopped
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/4 tsp. cumin
- 16 oz salsa
- 1 1/2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts up to 2 lbs
- 1 1/2 cups Minute® rice uncooked; ADD AT THE END
- sour cream
- Add the onion, bell pepper, pinto beans, cilantro, salt, pepper, cumin, chili powder, and salsa to the slow cooker; mix well.
- Add the chicken breasts.
- DO NOT ADD THE RICE YET.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6 hours without opening the lid during the cooking time.
- When the cooking time is done, shred the chicken with 2 forks. A
- Stir in the minute rice.
- Replace the lid and cook on HIGH for 20 minutes more. (see notes)
- Serve on tortillas with desired toppings.