Make the perfect chicken burrito filling using a couple of fresh veggies, salsa, Tex-Mex seasonings, and minute rice. This recipe is so easy, delicious, and sure to be a crowd-pleaser.
Why this recipe works
You won’t believe how easy this meal is. One pot meals are a must if you are tired of cooking, or are short on time. I’ve too often made burritos for dinner and had 3 different pots going – one for the meat, one for beans, and one for the rice. Not for this recipe! Everything gets cooked in one pot and no pre-browning of the chicken!
Instead, you’ll dump all of the ingredients into the pot and cook until the chicken is fork tender. You won’t even have to remove the chicken from the pot to shred it! Simply shred the chicken directly in the crockpot. Serve directly from the pot along with your favorite toppings for a meal everyone will want seconds (and thirds) of!
- Chicken: Boneless skinless chicken breasts are the best to use for this recipe. They don’t have to be precooked or seared prior to being added to the slow cooker.
- Beans: Pinto beans not only add flavor but also heartiness to the burrito filling.
- Veggies: Diced onion and bell pepper are classic burrito fillings that add flavor and texture to any meal.
- Minute Rice: Skip cooking the rice separately and instead, throw it in the pot to cook effortlessly with everything else.
- Salsa: What’s a burrito filling without the taste of salsa?
- Seasonings: Cilantro, kosher salt, black pepper, cumin, and chili powder are all classic Mexican flavors that make this a tasty meal.
Step One – Add the onion, bell pepper, pinto beans, cilantro, salt, pepper, cumin, chili powder, and salsa to the slow cooker.
Step Two – Mix everything until well combined.
Step Three – Add the chicken breasts.
Step Four – Cover and cook on LOW for 6 hours without opening the lid during the cooking time.
Step Five – Stir in the minute rice.
Step Six – Replace the lid and cook on HIGH for 20 minutes more. Serve on tortillas with desired toppings. Enjoy!
How to serve
- Since this is a burrito filling, you can’t go wrong by wrapping a nice helping inside flour tortillas. once you have them folded, pan-sear them for a few seconds on both sides until browned.
- These can also be served with diced tomatoes, extra freshly chopped cilantro, sour cream, salsa, sliced avocado, and any of your favorite toppings.
- I also like to pair these with delicious sides like Mexican rice, refried beans, and salsa and chips.
- The filling can also be used to make taco salads, enchiladas, burrito bowls, or used in dip form.
Besides boneless skinless chicken breasts, you can use boneless skinless chicken thighs.
Yes. The packets have similar seasoning as what this recipe calls for, omit the seasonings (and salt) and use one taco seasoning packet.
Flour tortillas often work best for making burritos because they are soft, if you are trying to feed more people, use smaller tortillas. Corn tortillas tend to be a bit harder in texture (and are meant for tacos). It’s all about personal preference.
Of course! This is a basic shredded chicken filling. You can always add refried beans, shredded cheese, and other ingredients into the burrito before you wrap them.
I recommend putting any leftover burrito filling into an airtight container and storing it in the fridge. If you will be eating it within the next day or so, you can go ahead and pre-wrap the burritos for quicker reheating and snacking.
Slow Cooker One Pot Chicken Burrito Filling
- 1 cup sweet onion diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 15 oz pinto beans drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp. cilantro chopped
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/4 tsp. cumin
- 16 oz salsa
- 1 1/2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts up to 2 lbs
- 1 1/2 cups Minute® rice uncooked; ADD AT THE END
- sour cream
- Add the onion, bell pepper, pinto beans, cilantro, salt, pepper, cumin, chili powder, and salsa to the slow cooker; mix well.
- Add the chicken breasts.
- DO NOT ADD THE RICE YET.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6 hours without opening the lid during the cooking time.
- When the cooking time is done, shred the chicken with 2 forks. A
- Stir in the minute rice.
- Replace the lid and cook on HIGH for 20 minutes more. (see notes)
- Serve on tortillas with desired toppings.
How to Video:
- If your slow cooker switched to the warm setting while you were gone during the day, you may need to cook the rice longer to bring up to temperature.
- Besides boneless skinless chicken breasts, you can use boneless skinless chicken thighs.
- I recommend putting any leftover burrito filling into an airtight container and storing it in the fridge. If you will be eating it within the next day or so, you can go ahead and pre-wrap the burritos for quicker reheating and snacking.
Nutrition info is auto-generated. This information is an estimate; if you are on a special diet, please use your own calculations.