These Slow Cooker Smothered Beef Burritos are better than takeout and great for an easy weeknight meal.
It’s been a while since I’ve posted a Mexican recipe. This meal is everything you would want, beef, cheese, and carbs. Beef and enchilada sauce cook all day, then I make burritos with the meat, beans, and cheese, then cover those with the sauce and more cheese.
How to make smothered beef burritos:
- Add beef stew meat to the slow cooker. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and oregano.
- Add diced green chiles, diced yellow onion and enchilada sauce. Stir.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours.
- When the meat is done cooking make burritos by add adding warmed refried beans, the cooked meat and cheese to a tortilla. Add into the sauce in the slow cooker.
- Top with cheese and replace lid until cheese is melted and the burritos are warm.
Can I use chicken?
Yes, you can use 1.5 – 2 pounds of chicken instead of beef stew meat. Shred the chicken with two forks before assembling the burritos.
What goes good with smothered beef burritos?
- Mexican rice – Recipe from Yellow Bliss Road
- Refried Beans
- Homemade Tortilla Chips – Recipe by Cooking Classy
- Green Salad
More Mexican style recipes to make in the slow cooker:
- Slow Cooker Steak Burritos
- Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- Slow Cooker Southwestern Cheesy Chicken Pasta
- Slow Cooker Copycat Chipotle Barbacoa
- Slow Cooker Shredded Beef Sheet Tray Nachos
Slow Cooker Smothered Beef Burritos
- Slow Cooker – 5 quart or larger
- 2 lbs. beef stew meat (cubed beef roast)
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- ½ tsp. oregano
- 4 oz. can fire roasted green chiles
- 1 small yellow onion
- 28 oz. can red enchilada sauce
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 16 oz. can refried beans (or 2 cups homemade refried beans)
- 8 flour tortillas
- Add the beef to the slow cooker. Add the salt, pepper, oregano, onion, diced chile peppers and the enchilada sauce. Stir.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- When the cooking time is done, warm the refried beans in the microwave or the stove top. Add a spoonful of beans to each tortilla and a scoop of beef and a sprinkle of cheese. Roll the burritos up.
- I chose to heat up 4 of the burritos in the slow cooker, I removed part of the sauce and then added the burritos, then drizzled a little sauce over them and added more cheese on top. I turned the slow cooker to high and let the burritos heat up for 20 more minutes.
- If you want to heat all the burritos at once, I recommend a 9×13 casserole dish. Pour sauce over the burritos and top with cheese, add the casserole dish to preheated oven set to 350 degrees and cook for about 10 minutes.
- One other option is to nuke each burrito in the microwave with sauce and cheese on top.
How to Video:
- Mexican rice
- Refried Beans
- Tortilla Chips
- Green Salad and dressing