Make easy shredded beef in the slow cooker then make sheet tray nachos!
It’s an easy and quick meal that is great for a weeknight dinner or game-day.
I am always looking for fun ways to entertain and who doesn’t like a good sheet tray dinner! These nachos are perfect for Game Day! I use Rotel to spice up a chuck roast in my slow cooker. After the beef is done cooking, I make a large sheet pan of nachos, enough to feed 8 hungry people!
How to make shredded beef for nachos in the slow cooker:
- Sprinkle a three-pound chuck roast with salt, pepper and onion powder.
- Set a large skillet over medium-high heat, add oil. Brown the roast on all sides and add to the slow cooker.
- Dice a sweet yellow onion and add on top of the roast.
- Shake over a taco seasoning packet then pour over two cans of Rotel tomatoes.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on HIGH for 6 hours or low for 8-10 hours.
- Shred the roast with 2 forks right in the slow cooker. Discard any fatty pieces.
- Preheat the oven to BROIL
- Spread out a bag of tortilla chips on a sheet tray.
- Add the shredded beef on top of the chips evenly. Sprinkle over a pound of cheese.
- Place the tray in the oven under the broiler for the cheese to melt. Keep an eye on it, this won’t take longer than 5 minutes.
- Top with desired toppings and enjoy. Alternatively, you can serve the toppings on the side and let your guests choose their own.
What is the best cheese for homemade nachos?
We love Monterey Jack cheese for nachos. Monterey Jack cheese melts very well and is very mild in flavor. It’s the type of cheese that is used in many Mexican restaurants.
What is Rotel?
Rotel is spiced diced tomatoes and is often used in Mexican style recipes. We love it in these nachos or in queso dip.
How can I make this less spicy?
Use a can of diced tomatoes or mild salsa instead of Rotel. Rotel tomatoes tend to be on the spicy side.
What are the best nacho toppings?
- Cheese – of course!
- Sour cream – try the squeeze bottle type for nacho night!
- Sliced olives
- Avocado or guacamole
- Tomatoes – Use Roma tomatoes and remove the liquid from them so they don’t make your nachos soggy
- Hot sauce
- Salsa – jarred or homemade
- Minced onion – sweet yellow onions or green onions
- Cilantro – finely chopped
What other Mexican Style appetizers can be made in the slow cooker?
- Slow Cooker 7-Layer Bean Dip – Yes this classic can be made in the slow cooker
- Slow Cooker Chili Queso Dip – Only a few ingredients to this amazing dip
- Slow Cooker Salsa – The slow cooker roasts this salsa!
- Slow Cooker Nacho Bar – Perfect for large hungry crowds
Slow Cooker Shredded Beef Sheet Tray Nachos
- Slow Cooker- 6 quart or larger
- 3 lbs. beef chuck roast
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1/4 tsp. onion powder
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 20 oz. Rotel diced tomatoes with green peppers (two-10 oz. cans) Use original, mild or hot
- 1 sweet yellow onion diced
- 1 1/4 oz. taco seasoning packet (I like mild McCormick for this recipe)
To assemble nachos:
- 11 oz. bag tortilla chips
- 1 lb. Monterey Jack cheese shredded
Additional topping ideas:
- sour cream
- sliced avocado or guacamole
- minced green or sweet onion
- diced Roma tomato
- hot sauce
- sliced black olives
- chopped cilantro
- For the meat:
- Sprinkle the roast with the salt, pepper and onion powder.
- Heat a large skillet on the stove-top to medium-high heat, once hot, add the oil.
- Brown the roast on all sides and transfer to the slow cooker.
- Add the Rotel, onions, and taco seasoning on top of the roast.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 6 hours, or LOW for 8-10 hours, without opening the lid during the cooking time. Opening the lid during the cooking time lets heat escape and can cause the meat not to tenderize.
- After the meat is done cooking, pre-heat the oven to BROIL.
- Shred the meat with 2 forks, discard any fatty pieces. (I shred the meat right in the slow cooker to save on dirtying an extra plate).
Assembling the Nachos:
- Add the entire bag of chips to a sheet pan.
- Add the shredded beef to the chips in an even layer, then the cheese.
- Put the nachos in the oven, it will take about 5 minutes for the cheese to melt.
- Add desired toppings or serve them on the side and let guests choose what they want.