A rich and flavorful ham soup topped with airy dumplings. You will love this unique recipe for Ham Hocks and Dumplings.
This Ham Hocks and Dumplings soup is nice change from chicken and dumplings. My husband loves chicken and dumplings, so this recipe was another favorite of his.
My mom happened to stop by the day I made this soup, I often think she calls me in the morning to see what I’ve got cooking and plans her day accordingly. This recipe also had my mom’s approval too! She loved it, even went back for seconds.
This Ham Hocks and Dumplings recipe reminds me of southern cooking. The ham hock flavors the broth with its smokiness, and the dumplings were light and airy. I used Bisquick for my dumplings, I do know how to make homemade dumplings, but I wanted a semi-homemade fix for this. I suppose you could use canned biscuits for the dumplings, but for me, I enjoy Bisquick dumplings more, they taste more homemade.
Ham Hocks and Dumplings
- Slow Cooker – 5 quart or larger
- 32 oz. box chicken broth
- 2 ham hocks or one very large one
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup diced celery
- ½ cup diced onion
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- ¼ tsp black pepper
For the dumplings
- 1½ cups Bisquick baking mix
- ⅓ cup plus 2 Tbsp. milk
- Add the chicken broth, ham hocks, carrots, celery, onion, dried thyme, and black pepper to your slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours.
- After the cooking time is up, remove the ham hocks onto a plate. Remove as much meat as you can, shred it with 2 forks, add this meat to the slow cooker. Discard the fat and bones.
- I like to degrease the soup before I add my dumplings, I do this by using a ladle and carefully skimming the fat off, and discard. Then I take a half sheet of a paper towel and lay it over the top of the soup and quickly remove, this will get the last of the fat off the soup.
- Turn the slow cooker on HIGH to keep your soup hot while you prepare the dumpling mix.
- Mix together the Bisquick and milk until almost smooth, some lumps are ok. Using 2 spoons, drop the dumpling mix into the hot soup in the slow cooker. I do about tablespoon size, I use one spoon to scrape up the dough and another spoon to scrape off the dough from the other spoon into the hot soup. Spread out the dumplings evenly in the broth.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 30 minutes. Do not open the lid while the dumplings cook.
- Serve and enjoy!