Beer Cheese Soup anyone? The first time I tried this soup was at a Halloween party about 10 years ago, my friend Dawna brought this soup in a slow cooker, and I probably ate half of that pot of soup myself! I have been in love with this soup ever since. This Slow Cooker Beer Cheese soup has rich flavor, but not completely over powered by the beer.
To thicken this soup for the slow cooker, I used cornstarch, it blends in so nicely. Also, you must use sharp cheddar cheese in this recipe, it really makes the flavor pop. And I always serve this soup with sourdough bread and butter. Enjoy!
- 32 ounces chicken broth
- 16 ounces beer
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- 1 cup carrot, diced very fine
- 1 cup white onion, diced very fine
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 8 ounces Sharp Cheddar Cheese, grated
- sea salt, about 1 teaspoon
- black pepper to taste
- Add chicken broth and beer to slow cooker, and whisk in cornstarch until smooth. Add melted butter.
- Add carrots and onions to slow cooker, stir.
- Cook on Low for 8 hours.
- Add cream cheese, let the cream cheese melt for 20 minutes before adding the sharp cheddar cheese.
- Stir in cheese, and season with salt, about a teaspoon is what I used, add gradually to your taste. Add pepper to taste.
- Ladle into bowls, and serve immediately.