Creamy and smooth Easy Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup with ham is a classic recipe you must try in the slow cooker.
I worked as a waitress for years, the soup du jour on Thursday was always split pea with ham. It was crazy how many people came in just to order the split pea soup.
Here is my version of slow cooker split pea soup with ham. This recipe uses diced ham, though I’ve included directions for using a ham hock below.
How to make Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup:
You will need these ingredients:
- Dried Split Peas
- Chicken boullion cubes
Not many ingredients in this soup, but the results are spectacular.
- Add everything to the slow cooker. Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on LOW for 9-10 hours.
- When the cooking time is up, take a whisk or spoon and stir the soup. The peas will dissolve into the broth.
Can I use a ham bone?
Yes! Use a ham bone instead of the diced ham. Remove bone after cooking time and shred any meat and add to the soup.
How to make this vegetarian:
If you would like to make this vegetarian omit the ham. Then substitute the chicken bouillon cubes for Not
What to serve with this:
Good as is in a mug or choose one or more of these options:
- Saltine or oyster crackers
- French bread or focaccia bread
- Side salad with dressing
How to thin out split pea soup that is too thick:
After split pea soup has been prepared it thickens when the lid has been taken off or has been refrigerated. Add a splash of water or chicken broth and stir, and the soup will be a perfect consistency again.
My family absolutely loves this slow cooker split pea soup, it’s so creamy and comforting. I love how this slow cooker split pea soup can be prepped the night before, and I can just throw the ingredients in the slow cooker in the morning.
Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup
- Slow Cooker- 6 quart or larger
- 16 oz. dried split peas
- 1 onion diced
- 2 carrots diced
- 2 cups ham diced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 7 cups of water
- Add the split peas (no need to pre-soak), onion, carrots, thyme, ham, chicken bouillon cubes and water to the slow cooker. Stir.
- Cover and cook on low for 9-10 hours without opening the lid during the cooking time.
- When cooking time is done, whisk the soup until creamy.
Ham bone directions:
Want to use yellow split peas?
Soup too thick?
Chicken broth instead of chicken bouillon cubes?
First Published 01/19/2013