This flavorful Slow Cooker Black Bean and Kielbasa soup is slightly spicy and is a great light meal without much trouble in the kitchen.
I know it’s the heat of the summer and you’re wondering why I’m posting a soup recipe again. In all honestly this sounded so good, it’s been very hot here but this soup still hit the spot and it’s a great meal that is easily served without any hassle. If you aren’t into soup in the summer, save this recipe for the winter.
I had a co-worker at the post office who is an amazing cook. She brought in a black bean soup with hot dogs in it and called it a bad name, I can’t even post it here. The soup tasted amazing, I am not brave enough to use hot dogs in this soup so I subbed it out for kielbasa.
I use a jalapeno to spice up this soup, use an extra one if you like your soup extra spicy. I was out of chicken broth so I decided to use 3 chicken bouillon cubes, and the flavor turned out great.
After 9 hours of cooking time the beans and veggies are perfectly tender!
What do you think of this recipe? I hope you give it a try. I’m back from vacation this week and have a new recipe in the slow cooker as we speak. Stay tuned for more recipes or subscribe to my newsletter to be the first to see the new recipes.
- 1 12-oz. pkg. kielbasa, sliced
- cooking oil
- 1 lb. dried black beans soaked overnight, see below
- 1 small white onion diced
- 2 carrots diced
- 2 celery stalks diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1-2 jalapenos diced
- 2 heaping Tbsp. minced cilantro
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 3 chicken bouillon cubes the small ones
- 1 16-oz. jar salsa
- 7 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
Slow Cooker Size:
- 5- quarts or larger
- Soak the beans overnight (at least 8 hours) in water, or use the quick soak method.
- After the beans have soaked, drain them and add to the slow cooker.
- Set a medium sized skillet over medium high heat on the stove top. Add a bit of cooking oil. Add the sliced kielbasa and brown them on both sides. Add to the slow cooker.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the slow cooker. Stir.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-9 hours without opening the lid during the cooking time.
- Remove bay leaf and serve.