Leftover Ham? Look no further than this recipe for Slow Cooker 15 Bean Soup with ham!
This recipe is sponsored by Hurst’s® HamBeens® 15 Bean Soup® though all opinions are mine alone.
Hello! It’s been a few weeks since I’ve posted a dinner recipe on the blog, I’ve been posting mostly holiday recipes. This recipe uses some of that leftover ham from the holiday and turns it into a delicious soup along with Hurst’s Ham Beens 15 Bean Soup mix. If you have left over turkey instead, head over to my Cajun 15 Bean Soup with Leftover Turkey recipe. Both of these soups transform the leftovers into something different flavor wise and are both very comforting.
The 15 bean soup mix is found in the same section of the store as the other dried beans, if you are unsure that your store carries them you can look that up here.
This 15 bean soup turns out a bit creamy with some of the beans breaking down into the broth after the long 6 hour cook time. After the cooking time is done I add lemon juice, Italian diced tomatoes and a few cups of chopped kale. I love the added kale in this recipe. The kale takes about 20 minutes to soften at the end of the cooking time of this recipe.
The colors of this soup are beautiful, Christmas colors from the red tomatoes and the green kale.
I hope you give this recipe a try now or after Christmas with your leftover ham. What a great meal this is to have simmering away the day after the Christmas festivities. Hurst’s Hambeens has many more recipes like this one on their site and you can find them here. I hope you have a great holiday and let me know if you try this recipe.
Slow Cooker 15 Bean Soup with Ham
- 20 oz. Hurst'sⓇ HamBeensⓇ 15 Bean Soup mix (save ham flavor packet to add a the end of cooking time)
- 2 cups diced ham (leftover ham works great!)
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 celery stalks, peeled and diced
- 1 Tbsp. minced garlic
- 2 tsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 8 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
Add these ingredients at the end:
- 14.5 oz. can Italian flavored diced tomatoes
- 3 cups chopped kale
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
Slow Cooker Size:
- 6 quart or larger
- Rinse and sort beans, discarding any debris. Add the beans to the slow cooker. Save the ham flavor packet for after the entire cooking time is up.
- Add ham, onion, carrots, celery, garlic, basil, thyme and water. Stir. Add the bay leaf on top of the soup.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 6 hour without opening the lid during the cooking time.
- After the six hour time is up remove the bay leaf. Add the lemon juice, diced tomatoes and chopped kale. Stir. Replace the lid and cook on HIGH for 20 minutes more.
- Add the ham flavor packet and stir once more. Serve and enjoy!
Leftover turkey? Try this Cajun 15 Bean soup with Turkey instead!
p style=”text-align: center;”>This recipe is sponsored by Hurst’s® HamBeens® Cajun 15 Bean Soup® though all opinions are mine alone.