Have leftover turkey? Forget the turkey noodle soup this year and make this Slow Cooker Cajun 15 Bean Soup with Turkey instead!
This recipe is Sponsored by Hurst’s® HamBeens® Cajun 15 Bean Soup® though all opinions are mine alone.
I’ve been eagerly awaiting for it to get closer to Thanksgiving to share this recipe. I’m sharing a recipe I created for Hurst’s Hambeen’s, I’m using their Cajun 15 Bean Soup mix for this recipe. Often after Thanksgiving I make a soup the next day with the leftover turkey. My go to is always turkey noodle and that can get boring. I love how this soup mix changes the leftover turkey into an entirely different meal, something with spice and lots of flavor.
These dried beans cook up very well in the slow cooker without presoaking. I cooked these beans for 7 hours on high. It may seem like a long time, but it’s the right amount of time for the beans to tenderize. I love how the split peas dissolve in the soup, but many of the other beans keep their shape.
The packaging on the Cajun 15 Bean Mix suggests not adding anything acidic until the end of the cooking time, doing this insures the beans will tenderize. I add crushed tomatoes and lemon juice right before serving.
Save this recipe now so those leftovers don’t get wasted. You can find more 15 bean soup recipes here from Hurst’s Hambeens. Have a great weekend! And stay tuned I have a leftover ham recipe coming next month that you will love too.
Slow Cooker Cajun 15 Bean Soup with Turkey
- 20 oz. Hurst' HamBeensⓇ Cajun 15 Bean SoupⓇ mix (save Cajun flavor packet for the end of cooking time)
- 3 cups leftover cooked turkey or chicken
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 poblano pepper, seeds removed and diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. liquid hickory smoke
- 8 cups water
Add these ingredients at the end:
- 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- salt to taste
- Rinse and sort through the dry beans, sort out any debris and discard. Add the rinsed beans to the slow cooker.
- Add the cooked turkey, onion, celery, poblano pepper, bell pepper, oregano, pepper, liquid smoke, and water. Pour over the water and stir. (Wait to add the tomatoes and lemon juice).
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 7 hours without opening the lid during the cooking time. Add the crushed tomatoes, lemon juice and the Cajun seasoning packet, stir. Add salt if desired.
- Serve and enjoy!