Simple and filled with delicious flavor, this slow cooker pizza dip is sure to be a family favorite. Not to mention, it makes for a great party dip too! With only ten ingredients and a dump-and-go prep, you can’t go wrong with giving this pizza dip recipe a try!
Why this recipe works
When you’re looking for a quick and easy dip to make, this crock pot pizza dip is all that and more. The most prep you’ll do is slicing pepperoni into quarters. The other ingredients are dumped into the slow cooker as is. Cooking time is incredibly short, with this pepperoni pizza dip being done in as little as an hour.
This crowd pleasing recipe also works because it is versatile when it comes to variations and serving. We have some suggestions below and just know the possibilities are many. This perfect appetizer is an excellent idea for a number of gatherings, including game day, a church potluck, or even a New Year’s Eve party!
- Marinara Sauce (Pizza Sauce): I went with the Prego brand pizzeria style pizza sauce; however, any pizza sauce of your choice will work.
- Cream Cheese: This helps create a creamy texture, especially when combined with the other cheese. For easier mixing, use softened cream cheese (room temperature).
- Sour Cream – This will help thin out the cream cheese so the dip is ultra creamy.
- Mozzarella Cheese: A heaping serving of shredded mozzarella cheese is added with the cream cheese mixture for an irresistible crockpot pepperoni pizza dip. Buy a block of mozzarella cheese instead of a pre-shredded for better melting.
- Pepperoni: If you can find mini pepperoni, that works great for this recipe or you can get regular size pepperoni slices and cut them into quarters. You can use turkey pepperoni for a healthier dip.
- Seasonings: Classic to any pizza-style dish are basil, oregano and garlic powder. Those two flavors put the final touches on this amazing dip. You can use Italian seasoning if that is all you have on hand, it will taste just as great.
Step One – In a medium sized bowl, add the cream cheese, sour cream, oregano, basil, garlic, salt, parmesan and 2 cups of the mozzarella cheese. Whip together using a handheld electric mixer.
Step Two – Add the cream cheese mix to a 4 quart or larger slow cooker and spread out the cream cheese layer evenly.
Step Three – Top the cream cheese mixture with the pizza sauce and spread evenly.
Step Four – Sprinkle on the remaining 1 cup of mozzarella cheese.
Step Five – Evenly place the ¼ cup of mini pepperonis.
Step Six – Cook on LOW for 3 hours or on HIGH for 2 hours. Serve the crockpot pizza dip with your choice of dippers.
How to serve
- If you’re taking this dip to a party or potluck, you can leave it in the slow cooker and provide dip-friendly sides such as pita chips, pita bread, wheat thins, bread sticks, garlic bread, crackers, or tortilla chips.
- This crock pot pizza dip can also be served as a topping for nachos. After adding a nice helping on top of a bed of tortilla chips, you can add other nacho-like toppings such as black olives, sour cream, diced bell pepper, and jalapenos.
- Pizza dip can also be added to other pizza toppings. A dollop of this dip can add an extra flavor, or better yet, use it to dip your pizza or bread sticks in.
- Add meat: To make this crock pot pizza dip a bit more hearty, consider adding beef, turkey, or Italian sausage.
- Supreme pizza dip: Go all out and make this pizza dip supreme by adding black olives, diced tomatoes, mushrooms, chopped green bell peppers, onions, and extra cheese.
- Hawaiian pizza dip: In addition to adding meat like ham or bacon, top it off with chopped pineapple. The sweet flavor of the pineapple fruit will add an entirely new and yummy taste.
- BBQ chicken dip: There are two options for turning this pizza dip into barbeque chicken dip. You can add bbq-flavored chicken and keep the rest of the ingredients the same. Or, you can exchange the pizza sauce for barbecue sauce and keep the remaining ingredients the same.
Since this pizza dip is best served warm, it’s a good idea to make it no more than a couple of hours before it is served. It will keep in the slow cooker on the warm setting for at least 2 hours after cooking.
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container. When reheating, it’s best to do it on a low setting on the stovetop.
Absolutely! Pepper jack would add a soft kick. Cheddar cheese is also another great option.
Slow Cooker Pizza Dip
- 16 oz. cream cheese (two 8-oz. packages) softened
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 3 cups mozzarella cheese divided
- 1 cup pizza sauce
- ¼ cup mini pepperonis
- fresh basil for garnish optional
- In a medium sized bowl, add the cream cheese, sour cream, oregano, basil, garlic, salt, parmesan and 2 cups of the mozzarella cheese. Whip together using a handheld electric mixer.
- Add the cream cheese mix to a 4 quart or larger slow cooker and spread evenly.
- Top the cream cheese mixture with the pizza sauce and spread evenly.
- Sprinkle on the remaining 1 cup of mozzarella cheese, and evenly place the ¼ cup of mini pepperonis.
- Cook on LOW for 3 hours or on HIGH for 2 hours.
- Garnish with fresh basil and serve with dippers. Enjoy!
- Bread sticks, garlic knots or Italian bread are great dipping options.
- Mayonnaise can be used in place of sour cream.
- I recommend shredding your own mozzarella cheese as it melts better than the pre packaged shredded cheese.
- Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container. When reheating, it’s best to do it on a low setting on the stovetop.
- Nutritional values do not include bread dippers.
Nutrition info is auto-generated. This information is an estimate; if you are on a special diet, please use your own calculations.