A spicy sausage dip without Velveeta but instead filled with fresh cheese, cream cheese instead. The dip also has salsa and green onion for flavor. Great for a dip night or any celebration.
An array of appetizers are a must for a party. I always make one dip that goes with chips like this easy sausage dip, and I also make corn dip, grape jelly meatballs or barbecue meatballs to complete the spread.
Don’t get me wrong; I’m not a Velveeta snob. There’s a time and place for it, and this last weekend I wasn’t in the mood for Velveeta. Also, this hot sausage dip isn’t your usual dip, and you can surprise your guest with something different.
- Spicy sausage – cooked and crumbled Jimmy Dean Hot Sausage. Jimmy Dean is known as a breakfast sausage, but you can use it for appetizer and dinner recipes!
- Cream cheese – this will give the dip a creamy flavor without using Velveeta cheese.
- Cheddar cheese – Freshly shredded Colby jack melts best for dips.
- Sour cream – If you have not tried Mexican Style sour cream, don’t be afraid! It’s just a bit thinner and has more of a tang to it. However, you can use regular sour cream with no issues.
- Salsa – One jar of salsa will help flavor and thin out the dip. You can use one can of Rotel instead if desired.
- Green Onion – sliced green onion goes in the sausage cream cheese dip and for garnish.
- Jalapeno – adds more heat to the recipe.
Step One – Cook the spicy sausage and drain the excess grease (on the stove-top in a skillet). Add to the slow cooker. Add the cream cheese, sour cream, salsa, and shredded cheese. Stir. Next, stir in the jalapeno and sliced green onion.
Step Two – Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on high for 2 hours.
Step Three – Stir, serve warm, and enjoy!
How to serve
- Tortilla chips – Serve with store-bought tortilla chips or make homemade corn chips.
- Potato chips – Pretty much any dip is fantastic with potato chips! Just give it a try. We love to use a thick potato chip that has ridges.
- Mild sausage dip – Use regular jimmy dean sausage or mild Italian sausage for a mild dip. Also, skip the jalapeno.
- Fire-roasted green chiles – Add two cans of fire-roasted green chiles for a completely different flavor. Serve with your favorite chips.
- Pepper Jack Cheese – Instead of Colby jack cheese, use shredded pepper jack cheese for a hint of pepper flavor through the dip.
Yes! A double batch of this sausage cream cheese dip in a 6-quart slow cooker, and you’ll have plenty for a large crowd.
Ground beef works excellent in the creamy dip! Be sure to season it well with salt, pepper, and garlic powder, for it won’t have as much flavor as the sausage.
I think you will enjoy this recipe, the hot sausage adds great flavor to this dip, and it’s not your usual style dip that is served at most parties.
Slow Cooker Spicy Sausage Dip Recipe
- 1 lb. hot Jimmy Dean sausage browned and drained
- 16 oz. Mexican sour cream (regular sour cream works too)
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 2 cups Colby-Jack cheese shredded
- 1/4 cup green onion sliced
- 1 jalapeño minced (keep the seeds in if you want it really hot)
- 1 cup salsa I used Newman’s medium salsa
- green onion optional garnish
- Add everything to the slow cooker. Stir everything together, it’s ok if some chunks of cream cheese are still there, they will melt in.
- Stir everything together, some chunks of cream cheese will remain; it'll melt in.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 2 hours.
- When the cooking time is done, stir.
- Add additional green onions, if desired.
- Serve with tortilla chips and enjoy!
How to Video:
Nutrition info is auto-generated. This information is an estimate; if you are on a special diet, please use your own calculations.