No Velveeta in this dip! This Slow Cooker Spicy Sausage dip is creamy and great for parties.
Don’t get me wrong, I’m not a Velveeta snob. There’s a time and place for it and this last weekend I wasn’t in the mood for Velveeta. This dip has extras in it like Mexican style sour cream, cream cheese and salsa to give it a creamy consistency, so no Velveeta is needed. If you have not tried Mexican Style sour cream, don’t be afraid! It’s just a bit thicker and has more of a tang to it.
Above you will see the ingredients for this spicy sausage dip, what is missing in the photo is a jalapeño. As I was getting ready to put the ingredients in the crock pot I remembered my poor jalapeño in the fridge. The jalapeño adds a bit more heat to this dip.
I made homemade chips for this recipe, it’s becoming a thing. I don’t hate store-bought chips, but making homemade chips for recipes like this bring the meal to a new level.
Try one of these dips next:
- Slow Cooker Spinach Dip
- Slow Cooker Rotel Dip
- Slow Cooker Bacon Cheeseburger Dip
- Slow Cooker Artichoke Dip
I really think you will enjoy this recipe, the hot sausage adds great flavor to this dip and it’s not your usual style dip that is served at most parties.
Slow Cooker Spicy Sausage Dip
- 1 lb. hot Jimmy Dean sausage browned and drained
- 16 oz. Mexican sour cream (regular sour cream works too)
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 2 cups Colby-Jack cheese shredded
- 1/4 cup green onion sliced
- 1 jalapeño minced (keep the seeds in if you want it really hot)
- 1 cup salsa I used Newman’s medium salsa
- green onion optional garnish
- Add everything to the slow cooker. Stir everything together, it’s ok if some chunks of cream cheese are still there, they will melt in.
- Stir everything together, some chunks of cream cheese will remain; it'll melt in.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 2 hours.
- When the cooking time is done, stir.
- Add additional green onions, if desired.
- Serve with tortilla chips and enjoy!
How to Video:
Nutrition info is auto-generated. This information is an estimate; if you are on a special diet, please use your own calculations.