Slow Cooker Steak and Potato Soup is hearty and comforting!
This recipe for Slow Cooker Steak and Potato soup is pure comfort food. I had the idea to do steak and potato soup, a stick to your ribs, hearty man meal. I was researching other recipes and most of them looked like standard beef stew, but soupy. I did not go the beef stew route for my recipe. You do not have to use an expensive cut of steak for this recipe, in fact I used a cheap stew meat for this! I had planned add corn to this recipe but after I added the cream at the end, I thought this is perfect as is.
The combination of beef, potatoes, with thyme and garlic for the seasonings made this soup amazing. I add a cup of heavy cream at the end for more decadence. Below is the soup right before I switched it on to cook for 8 hours on low.
And here is the soup after stirring in the heavy cream at the end. Another great recipe for busy days, just stir and serve with bread! I wish I had my bread machine accessible, this is the perfect recipe to have the bread maker going at the same time.
The eight-hour cooking time is just enough time to cook the beef and potatoes perfectly.
Below is my YouTube video on how to make this Slow Cooker Steak and Potato Soup. You can follow me on YouTube, here.
- 1.5 lbs. beef stew meat or sirloin cut into cubes
- 2 tbsp. cooking oil
- 4 small russet potatoes, diced
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 sweet yellow onion, diced
- 32 oz. box beef broth
- 1 cup heavy cream (WAIT TO ADD UNTIL THE END OF THE COOKING TIME)
Slow Cooker Size:
- 6 quart or larger
- In a large skillet set over medium high heat, add the cooking oil. Brown the beef on all sides, but no need to cook through.
- Add remaining ingredients EXCEPT the cream.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours without opening the lid during the cooking time.
- Add the cream and stir.
- Serve and enjoy!
I used my 6-quart Crock-Pot for this recipe.
You may also like: Slow Cooker Hawaiian Chicken