Slow Cooker Steak and Potato Soup is hearty and comforting!
This recipe for Slow Cooker Steak and Potato soup is pure comfort food. I had the idea to do steak and potato soup, a stick to your ribs, hearty man meal. I was researching other recipes and most of them looked like standard beef stew, but soupy. I did not go the beef stew route for my recipe. You do not have to use an expensive cut of steak for this recipe, in fact I used a cheap stew meat for this! I had planned add corn to this recipe but after I added the cream at the end, I thought this is perfect as is.
The combination of beef, potatoes, with thyme and garlic for the seasonings made this soup amazing. I add a cup of heavy cream at the end for more decadence. Below is the soup right before I switched it on to cook for 8 hours on low.
And here is the soup after stirring in the heavy cream at the end. Another great recipe for busy days, just stir and serve with bread! I wish I had my bread machine accessible, this is the perfect recipe to have the bread maker going at the same time.
The eight-hour cooking time is just enough time to cook the beef and potatoes perfectly.
Slow Cooker Steak and Potato Soup
- Slow Cooker- 6 quart or larger
- 1 1/2 lbs. beef stew meat or sirloin cut into cubes
- 2 tbsp. cooking oil
- 4 small russet potatoes, diced
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 sweet yellow onion, diced
- 32 oz. box beef broth
- 1 cup heavy cream (WAIT TO ADD UNTIL THE END OF THE COOKING TIME)
- In a large skillet set over medium high heat, add the cooking oil. Brown the beef on all sides, but no need to cook through.
- Add remaining ingredients EXCEPT the cream.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours without opening the lid during the cooking time.
- Add the cream and stir.
- Serve and enjoy!