Slow Cooker Beef Tips are absolutely delicious and full of rich flavor. This easy recipe will help you put a fork tender comfort food on the dinner table with minimal prep and a cooking time that allows you to get other things done simultaneously.
What are beef tips and gravy?
Once larger, more tender cuts of meat have been broken down, what is typically left over are what we get as beef tips. These can be from top sirloin or tenderloin top. Either way, they’re the scrap from that particular section. Or you can cut up a roast or buy pre-cut beef stew chunks.
Beef tips with gravy are usually made from a brown gravy mix, beef broth, onion soup mix, mushroom soup, or the like. This creates a versatile meal option that can be served in many different ways. These crock pot beef tips are sure to be a family favorite!
- Stew Meat: This beef stew meat will slow cook to tender perfection.
- Brown Gravy Mix: Used as a base for the gravy.
- Seasonings: Dried onion, garlic, salt and, pepper.
- Beef Stock: Mixed with the brown gravy mix, Worcestershire sauce, and cornstarch for a thick and tasty gravy. (You can also use a low sodium beef broth.)
- Butter: Used to brown the beef tips.
Step One – Brown the beef tips over medium high heat in butter in a cast iron skillet.
Step Two – Flip the beef tips to make sure they are browned all over.
Step Three – In a large bowl, whisk together the beef stock, garlic, cornstarch, brown gravy packet, minced onion, and Worcestershire sauce.
Step Four – Add beef tips into the slow cooker and season with salt and pepper.
Step Five – Pour over gravy mixture.
Step Six – Cook on LOW for 5-6 hours or until fork tender. Serve the tender beef tips using a suggestion below and enjoy!
How to serve
- One of the most classic ways to serve beef tips and gravy is on a bed of mashed potatoes, garnished with fresh parsley or even sliced mushrooms.
- Another ideal way to serve this delicious meal is on a bed of egg noodles. And if you’re family enjoys white rice, this is another hearty serving option.
- These easy crockpot beef tips can also be served with a variety of vegetables liked diced onions, carrots, and broccoli.
Recipe Tips and Variations
Of course! The most popular is making mushroom gravy. You can add a can of mushrooms and/or freshly sliced mushrooms.
Stew meat, beef chuck, round roast, or sirloin go great in this recipe. You may even enjoy trying it with venison.
Absolutely. Though, I would wait to brown the meat, for it’s unsafe to only partially cook meat and refrigerate it.
Place any remaining crockpot beef tips in an airtight container. They will keep in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Slow Cooker Beef Tips
- 2 Tbsp. salted butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 lbs. stew beef I used top round, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 2.5 cups beef stock
- 2 cloves garlic Minced
- 3 Tbsp. cornstarch
- .87 oz. package brown gravy
- 2 Tbsp. dried minced onion
- 2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- Season the beef with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Heat a cast iron skillet over high heat until lightly smoking, add the butter and stew beef. Brown the beef on all sides. (Do not cook beef all the way through, just brown the outside). About 3 Minutes.
- Add the browned beef to the slow cooker pot. In a large bowl, whisk together the beef stock, garlic, cornstarch, brown gravy packet, minced onion and worcestershire sauce. Pour over the beef and cook on low for 5-6 hours.
- Beef will be down when fork tender and the gravy has thickened.
- Serve over mashed potatoes, rice or egg noodles. Enjoy!
How to Video:
- Love mushrooms? You can add a small can of mushrooms or 1-2 cups of fresh sliced mushrooms if desired.
- Place any remaining crockpot beef tips in an airtight container. They will keep in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- Stew meat, beef chuck, round roast, or sirloin go great in this recipe. You may even enjoy trying it with venison.
Nutrition info is auto-generated. This information is an estimate; if you are on a special diet, please use your own calculations.