Beef stew meat chunks are mixed with egg noodles, tomatoes, shredded cheese, and a variety of spices for an irresistible Slow Cooker Beef Noodle Casserole. This is a comfort food that even picky eaters will enjoy!
Why this beef noodle casserole recipe works
When you’re looking for a quick and easy way to cook beef, turning to the crockpot is always a huge help. This dump-and-go style recipe doesn’t call for very many ingredients at all and the cooking time is very reasonable.
The most prep you’ll do is cook the egg noodles before adding them to the cooked meat mixture. It’s a win-win for a busy weeknight meal option. This recipe is an adaption of a Creamy Beef Noodle Casserole from Bowl Me Over, which my family makes ALL the time.
- Beef Stew Meat: I suggest using anywhere between 1.5-2 pounds of meat to make sure you have a piece with every bite.
- Egg Noodles: These are cooked al dente and added towards the end of cooking time. I typically cook mine for about 6 minutes or so to ensure they are not overcooked.
- Sharp Cheddar Cheese: When it comes to this kind of cheese, I recommend using a block and shredder, so it actually melts and doesn’t leave that cakey texture.
- Tomatoes: You’ll need a can of diced tomatoes and tomato sauce to help create the sauce for this dish.
- Seasonings: Salt, black pepper, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and onion powder give this casserole a great flavor everyone will enjoy.
Step One – Place the beef into the slow cooker along with the seasoning.
Step Two – Pour over the canned tomatoes and tomato sauce. Stir the beef and tomato mix together. Cover and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours. (The longer it cooks, the more tender the meat will become.)
Step Three – In the meantime, cook egg noodles until they are al dente (still with a bit of firmness is okay).
Step Four – Add the cooked noodles to the slow cooker with the meat and sauce.
Step Five – Add a 1/2 cup of the shredded cheese and stir.
Step Six – Place the lid back on and cook for 20 minutes more on the HIGH setting. Turn off the slow cooker, serve, and enjoy!
How to serve
- This beef noodle casserole is truly a meal all on its own. Therefore, you can add a few hearty scoops to a plate or bowl and serve as is.
- You can also serve this delicious meal with a side of corn, mashed potatoes, or any other steamed vegetable of your choice.
- And don’t forget the bread! Garlic bread, butter rolls, or even sandwich bread are great go-to’s.
- When it comes to toppings, you could add a dollop of sour cream, a few sprinkles of grated parmesan cheese, extra shredded cheddar cheese, and diced green onions.
Yes. Ground beef, ground turkey, ground chicken, and/or a mix of sausage would work perfectly in this dish. In fact, using ground beef would make it old fashioned hamburger noodle casserole.
There are many ways you can play around with this recipe. One way is to add mushroom soup and cream cheese. This would create a much thicker casserole. You could also add green pepper, frozen peas, corn, diced onions, and any other vegetables you prefer.
Elbow macaroni and rotini are the two I would use in replacement of egg noodles.
Red pepper flakes would add a nice kick. Chili powder and Worcestershire sauce would add an additional flavor.
Place them in an airtight container and store them in the fridge for up to 4 days. To reheat, add the casserole to a casserole dish (or any baking dish) and reheat in the oven. You can also reheat on the stove top.
Slow Cooker Beef Pasta Dinner
- 2 lbs. beef stew meat can be 1.5-2lbs.
- 1½ tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. Italian seasoning
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. onion powder
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- 15 oz. tomato sauce
- 15 oz. diced tomatoes
WAIT TO ADD THESE ITEMS
- 12 oz. egg noodles
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese (freshly shredded if possible) divided
- Add the beef stew meat to your slow cooker.
- Sprinkle over the salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, garlic powder and onion powder.
- Pour over the diced tomatoes and tomato sauce.
- Stir. Cover and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours. The longer it cooks, the meat will become more tender.
- Near the end of the cooking time, cook the egg noodles according to the package directions on the stove top. I cook mine for 6 minutes. Do not overcook the noodles. Cook them to al dente.
- Drain the noodles and add them to the slow cooker with the meat and sauce. Also, add a 1/2 cup of the cheese. Stir.
- Sprinkle over the remaining cheese. Place the lid back on and cook for 20 minutes more on the HIGH setting.
- Turn off the slow cooker and serve!
How to Video:
- Ground beef, ground turkey, ground chicken, and/or a mix of sausage would work perfectly in this dish. In fact, using ground beef would make it old fashioned hamburger noodle casserole.
- Place them in an airtight container and store them in the fridge for up to 4 days. To reheat, add the casserole to a casserole dish (or any baking dish) and reheat in the oven. You can also reheat on the stove top.
Nutrition info is auto-generated. This information is an estimate; if you are on a special diet, please use your own calculations.
Recipe adapted for the crockpot from Bowl Me Over.