Chile Relleno Casserole packs all the flavors of whole green chiles, pepper jack cheese, and sharp cheddar cheese. Not to mention, when it is made in the slow cooker, you can expect a casserole dish that is absolutely delicious.
Have leftover green chiles? Put them to use in our Slow Cooker Sausage and Green Chile Breakfast Casserole recipe.
What is chile relleno casserole?
In its traditional sense, classic chile relleno (Spanish for stuffed peppers) consists of whole green chilies that are stuffed with cheese and meat. Then, they are breaded, fried, and served with a sauce. Turning it into an easy chile rellenos casserole consists of stuffing the chiles with cheese but then creating an egg mixture that is poured over them and slow-cooked to perfection.
Keep reading to see just how easy it is to make this delicious recipe! I
- Whole Green Chiles: To really bring out the flavor, use fire roasted canned whole chiles.
- Cheese: Pepper Jack is cut slender and added inside of the canned chiles. The sharp cheddar cheese is shredded and sprinkled on top, and melted to perfection.
- Eggs: Five large eggs are used to help solidify the casserole dish.
- Other Egg Mixture Ingredients: Flour, baking powder, milk, salt, and pepper are combined with the egg to create the base of the chile relleno casserole.
Step One – Remove the whole green chiles from the can, drain, and pat dry.
Step Two – Cut the pepper jack cheese into 1/2 inch strips.
Step Three – Stuff each pepper with a piece of cheese.
Step Four – Place the stuffed green chiles into a prepared slow cooker (sprayed with cooking spray).
Step Five – In a medium bowl, add the eggs, milk, salt, pepper, baking powder and flour. Whisk until smooth.
Step Six – Pour the egg mixture into the slow cooker and cook on HIGH for 1 hour and 45 minutes (or until set). Be sure to leave the lid closed during the entire cooking time.
Step Seven – Sprinkle shredded cheese on top and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
Step Eight – Once the shredded cheese has melted, garnish and serve.
How to serve
- This flavorful casserole dish can be served as is with a tall glass of milk; it’s really great all by it’s self.
- If you’re looking to add a few toppings, sour cream, freshly chopped cilantro, chopped onions, and diced tomatoes complement this yummy casserole quite well. Oh, and don’t forget the salsa! Or top with thick slices of garden tomatoes.
- Don’t forget your usual Mexican side dishes such as refried beans or Mexican rice!
- Having an egg base, you can’t go wrong serving this during breakfast or brunch alongside potatoes and breakfast meat.
Let the casserole dish cool completely and place the leftovers in an airtight container. It will keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Absolutely! Monterey Jack Cheese is another great cheese that can be used for stuffing the green chiles and you can cover the top with mild cheddar cheese.
You can add meat to this recipe to make it more hearty. Precooked shredded chicken or ground beef make great additions. Adding chopped fresh peppers can help as well.
You will have to roast the peppers first, remove their skins, then stuff them for this recipe. Nothing beats fresh roasted poblano peppers.
Want to make more magic in your crockpot? Stay up to date and subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Tik Tok, and YouTube.
Slow Cooker Chile Relleno Casserole
- 20 oz. whole fire roasted green chiles (2 10-oz. cans)
- 8 oz. pepper jack cheese (6-8 oz block of cheese)
- 5 large eggs
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3/4 cup whole milk
WAIT TO ADD
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Spray a 6-quart oval slow cooker with non stick spray.
- Open the cans of whole green chiles. Drain them and pat them dry.
- Cut the pepper jack cheese into 1/2 inch strips. Stuff each pepper with a piece of cheese. It's ok if the peppers break a little, you may have some leftover cheese.
- Add the stuffed peppers to the slow cooker.
- In a medium sized bowl, add the eggs, milk, salt, pepper, baking powder and flour. Whisk until smooth.
- Pour this egg mixture over the stuffed green chiles. (WAIT TO ADD THE SHREDDED CHEESE)
- Place the lid on the slow cooker.
- Cook on HIGH for 1 hour and 45 minutes (or until set) without opening the lid during the cooking time.
- When the cooking time is done, sprinkle over the shredded cheese. Place the lid back on for 10 minutes more or until the cheese is melted.
- Don’t like pepper jack cheese? Monterey Jack Cheese is another great cheese that can be used for stuffing the green chiles, and you can cover the top with mild cheddar cheese.
- To store the leftovers, let the casserole dish cool completely and place the leftovers in an airtight container. It will keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- You can add meat to this recipe to make it more hearty. Precooked shredded chicken or ground beef make great additions. Adding chopped fresh peppers can help as well.
- To use fresh peppers, you will have to roast the peppers first, remove their skins, then stuff them for this recipe.
Nutrition info is auto-generated. This information is an estimate; if you are on a special diet, please use your own calculations.
We live in Arizona where authentic Mexican food is everywhere. The flavors of the pepper Jack cheese make this easy relleno terrific! Thank you for sharing! My husband’s thrilled!
I’m making this tonight however The recipe doesn’t say when to add the milk. I’m hoping it’s with the eggs, flour, baking powder, and salt and pepper.
Is it okay to put my boiled cajun shrimp into the peppers with the pepper jack cheese?
Can I cook this on low, instead of high? I love the smell of the food cooking in the crockpot all day!
Sarah Olson says
That should do fine, but will probably only need 4-5 hours.
Jim stoy says
Thank you It looks delicious!
Frank J says
Don’t forget milk in the recipe, it’s missing
Sarah Olson says
Thank you. I added it.