Slow Cooker Chili Cheese Casserole is everything comfort food should be! Chili, sour cream, cheese and Fritos come together to make an amazing casserole.
This is one of those throw it together comfort meals that is great for game day or even a quick dinner. Fritos and chili are a match made in heaven. I didn’t know how the Fritos would do on the bottom of this, I was hoping for the best. I found that Fritos soaked up some of the chili and even browned some along the bottom edges.
My inspiration for this recipe came from an old cookbook I got from a woman off a Facebook group, the woman I met had inherited all of her aunt’s things and her aunt had collected hundreds of cookbooks. I bought about 10 vintage cookbooks from her, she had some very unique books!
The cookbook I found this recipe in is called Foreign Foods Recipes from Home Economic teachers. It took me a while to realize all the recipes weren’t authentic, they are more on the easy side, which is fine!
How to make this:
It doesn’t take many ingredients to make this chili cheese casserole.
You will need these ingredients:
- Frito Chips
- Canned chili – I use Nalley original
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Diced white onion
- Sour cream
These ingredients are layered in the slow cooker. Add the lid and cook for 2 hours on high.
This recipe is perfect for game day or even a lazy Sunday dinner. Growing up we only ate canned chili and I love this meal that transforms canned chili into a fun meal!
When I reheated this recipe up the next day it was thicker but still great. I like to add more Fritos on top of each serving. I hope you have a great week!
Slow Cooker Chili Cheese Casserole
- Slow Cooker - 4 quart or larger
- 9 1/4 oz. bag fritos
- 30 oz. Nalley Original Chili
- 3 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 16 oz. sour cream
- 1/2 cup diced white onion
- Spray slow cooker with non-stick spray. Sprinkle 1.5 cups of fritos to the bottom of the slow cooker. Then spoon over the chili. Then sprinkle over half the onions. Sprinkle over half of the cheese. Spread over all the sour cream. Top with the rest of the cheese and onions.
- Cover and cook on high for 2 hours.
- Serve with the additional fritos on top. Enjoy!
First Published: 05/11/2018