Do you love chili dogs? My hot dog chili that I make in the slow cooker is the best you can make! So much flavor.
Hot dogs are an easy way to get dinner on the table but why not make it spectacular? Pile this homemade hot dog chili sauce over your hot dogs and top with cheese and onions. You can even use this hot dog chili on a hot dog bar!
How to make Hot Dog Chili:
This recipe has quite a few ingredients though you will find that almost all of the ingredients are right in your cupboard!
Gather these ingredients:
- Ground beef
- Canned tomato sauce
- White onion
- Onion Powder
- Garlic Powder
- Chili powder
- Worcestershire sauce
- Brown sugar
- Add the ground beef to a skillet on the stove top. Cook over medium high heat. The trick to good hot dog chili is to crumble the meat extra small with your spatula.
- Drain the fat off the beef and add to the slow cooker.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir. Cover and cook on high for 1.5 hours or low for 3 hours. Stir this often, or it will burn.
Can I make this on the stove-top instead of my slow cooker?
- Instead of adding the meat and ingredients to the slow cooker add right to the pan.
- Simmer on low for 20 minutes, stirring often.
How to thin out hot dog chili:
Hot dog chili can thicken up quickly before you can use it all. Add one of these ingredients to thin it out:
- A few tablespoons of water
- Or a few tablespoons of ketchup
How to serve hot dog chili:
- Serve over hot dogs and buns (make sure to offer a knife and fork to your guests).
- Offer toppings such as shredded cheese, minced onion, jalapenos, mustard (try it! so good).
- Add this hot dog chili to a hot dog bar and impress your guests!
Hot Dog Chili
- Slow Cooker – 5 quart or larger
- 2 lbs. ground beef
- 1 cup ketchup
- 8 oz. tomato sauce (not paste)
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup minced white onion
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. onion powder
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- 1½ Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp. mustard (regular liquid mustard)
- 2 tsp. brown sugar
- Set a large skillet on the stove top over medium high heat. Brown the meat and crumble as small as you can. Drain the fat off and add the meat to the slow cooker.
- Add remaininng ingredients and stir.
- Cover and cook for 1.5 – 2 hours on high or 3 hours on low, stirring often. This may burn if you leave it unattended too long.
- If the hot dog chili sauce gets too thick add a splash of water or a touch more ketchup.
- Follow directions above but add everything to the skillet along with the beef. Turn the stove to low and simmer for 20 minutes. Add water or ketchup if it thickens too much.
How to Video:
- Cheddar cheese
- Minced white onion
- Mustard (yes! additional mustard is great on this)
- Sliced jalapenos