This unique recipe for Slow Cooker Shipwreck Stew is hearty and has great flavor. Filled with potatoes, beans, and ground beef, this recipe is a crowd-pleaser.
I found this recipe in a cookbook I bought from an estate sale. I bought about 20 cookbooks from this sale, I felt like the luckiest person alive that day! This little book I found I could tell is a collection of recipes from the family of the woman who must have passed away.
The recipes are cut and pasted into the book, then reprinted for the family to have their own copies. This shipwreck stew caught my eye, I knew it could be adapted for the slow cooker.
The only thing different I did was add the taco seasoning packet (I found that advice on allrecipes.com). I also added water, I did not want this stew to thicken and seize up.
How to make Shipwreck Stew:
Gather these ingredients:
- Lean ground beef
- Russet potatoes
- White onion
- Canned Kidney Beans
- Campbell’s tomato soup
- Taco seasoning packet
Brown the ground beef on the stove top in a skillet, add that to the slow cooker along with the remaining ingredients.
Set the slow cooker to the low setting and cook for 7-8 hours on low or until the potatoes are tender.
Try another stew recipe:
I love finding recipes like this that spark my joy again for the slow cooker. I’ve been doing this website for 6 years now and am always surprised that there is always something great to try, I just need to keep my eyes open for new (or old in this case) recipes. I hope you enjoy this recipe. Have a great weekend.
Slow Cooker Shipwreck Stew
- Slow Cooker- 6 quart or larger
- 1 lb. ground beef (I used 10% fat)
- 3 medium russet potatoes, sliced
- 1 white onion, diced
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 15 oz. can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 21 oz. Campbell’s tomato soup (2 10.5 oz. cans)
- 1 oz. packet taco seasoning
- 1 1/2 cups water
- Brown the ground beef in a skillet on the stovetop until cooked through, drain. Add to the slow cooker
- Add the remaining ingredients, stir.
- Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours without opening the lid during the cooking time.
- Stir, and serve! Great as is or topped with cheese.
How to Video:
Other ground beef recipes here on the magical slow cooker:
- Slow Cooker John Wayne Casserole
- Slow Cooker Land Your Man Baked Beans
- Slow Cooker Salisbury Steak
- Slow Cooker Beef and Potato Au Gratin
- Slow Cooker Hobo Dinner
- Slow Cooker Taco Meatloaf Stuffed Peppers
- Slow Cooker Texas Trash Beef and Bean Dip
- Slow Cooker Porcupine Meatballs
- Slow Cooker Lipton Onion Meatloaf
- Slow Cooker Chuck Wagon Chili
- Slow Cooker Hamburger Hash