Frozen shredded hashbrowns, three types of cheese, and classic seasonings turn into tasty Slow Cooker Potatoes Romanoff – a delicious potato casserole your family is sure to love. This is the perfect side dish for steak dinners or a wonderful addition to your Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner.
Whip up another easy potato side dish with my Slow Cooker Colcannon Potatoes or Slow Cooker Garlic Parmesan Potatoes.
What are potatoes romanoff?
Potatoes Romanoff is a classic side dish that you’ll typically see paired with steak. The most traditional potatoes romanoff recipe will be made from shredded russet potatoes and be paired with sour cream, cheese, shallots, and seasonings.
The romanoff sauce – minus the hashbrowns – can be used to make any kind of romanoff dish, like these noodles romanoff. I enjoy a good casserole dish that has a quick prep time and allows me to save time with basic ingredients.
- Frozen Hashbrowns: Skip the need to grate potatoes by using a bag of frozen hashbrowns. They will need to be slightly defrosted before use.
- Cheese: Parmesan cheese, sharp cheddar cheese, and cream cheese are used to ensure the most cheesy and creamy sauce. Hence, why these are also known as cheesy potatoes.
- Sour Cream: Just like its name, sour cream helps add an even creamier touch to the potato casserole.
- Butter: Melted and combined with other ingredients to provide a smooth finish and flavor.
- Minced Shallots: This flavor-building veggie is similar to the onion but without the heat. It will add more of a sweet flavor with a tiny bit of sharpness.
- Seasonings: Paprika (used for serving), kosher salt, ground black pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder is the perfect flavor combination for romanoff potatoes.
Step One – Add sour cream, softened cream cheese, melted butter, 1 cup of the shredded sharp cheddar cheese, parmesan cheese, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and shallot into a large bowl. Stir until smooth.
Step Two – Stir the romanoff ingredients together until smooth.
Step Three – Pour in defrosted hashbrowns.
Step Four – Gently toss until the hashbrowns have been mixed well creamy sauce.
Step Five – Add the potato mixture into a prepared crock pot (sprayed with non-stick spray) and sprinkle the remaining cheese on top. Cook on HIGH for 3 hours.
Step Six – Sprinkle with paprika and serve. Enjoy!
What to serve with Potatoes Romanoff
- Besides being served alongside a nice steak, this side dish can be paired with anything you’d like a fork tender potato dish to go with. They’ll go well with Slow Cooker Chicken Drumsticks and add a nice touch to these Dr. Pepper Ribs.
- Similar to baked potatoes, you can serve potatoes romanoff with an extra dollop of sour cream on top, chopped chives, and more cheese sprinkled on top.
- Sometimes you may find this served on top of mashed potatoes or baked potatoes.
Sharp white cheddar cheese, mild cheddar cheese, and pepperjack cheese would make a wonderful change to this recipe.
Yes. Similar to how the leftovers are stored, they’ll need to be kept in an airtight container and stored in the refrigerator overnight. Once you’re ready to cook it, place it in the crock pot and continue with cooking steps five and six.
Yes. Place the potatoes in a freezer safe container or bag and store them in the freezer for up to one month.
Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container for up to five days.
Yes. Place the casserole dish on the center oven rack and bake at 350 degrees for 45-55 minutes or until the potatoes are hot and the cheese has melted.
Want to make more magic in your crockpot? Stay up to date and subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Tik Tok, and YouTube.
Slow Cooker Potatoes Romanoff
- 8 oz. cream cheese
- ¼ cup salted butter melted
- 1 cup sour cream
- 8 oz. block sharp cheddar cheese divided
- ½ cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. onion powder
- 1 shallot minced
- 30 oz. frozen hashbrown potatoes (not thawed)
- ¼ tsp. paprika
- Set the hashbrown on the counter to thaw slightly while you get the romanoff sauce ready.
- Warm the cream cheese in the microwave for 30-60 seconds, until softened.
- To a large bowl, add the softened cream cheese, melted butter, sour cream, 1 cup of the shredded sharp cheddar cheese, parmesan cheese, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and shallot. Stir until smooth.
- Pour in the hashbrowns (break them up if needed). Stir until the hashbrowns are coated.
- Spray the slow cooker with non-stick spray. Add the potato mixture, smooth out and sprinkle over the remaining cheese.
- Cook on low for 4 hours or high for 2.5 hours.
- Sprinkle with paprika and serve.
- Sharp white cheddar cheese, mild cheddar cheese, and pepperjack cheese would be great substitutes for the sharp cheddar cheese.
- Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container for up to five days.
- Want to bake in the oven? Place the casserole dish on the center oven rack and bake at 350 degrees for 45-55 minutes or until the potatoes are hot and the cheese has melted.
Nutrition info is auto-generated. This information is an estimate; if you are on a special diet, please use your own calculations.
What can I substitute for cream cheese and sour cream?
Sarah Olson says
Maybe cream of chicken soup.