Have a go at making your own Cracker Barrel Hashbrown Casserole with just seven ingredients. Shredded hash browns, cream of chicken soup, a generous helping of shredded cheese, and a few other ingredients come together for an easy and quick breakfast meal.
This easy copy cat recipe is great with Slow Cooker Barbecue Ribs or Ranch Chicken Sandwiches; truthfully, these potatoes are good with anything!
Why This Recipe Works
If you’re looking for the perfect breakfast or brunch meal, this hashbrown casserole is it. The prep is minimal, and the cooking time is reasonable. You can make it more hearty by adding a few extra ingredients or serving as is.
Turn your hash browns into a Cracker Barrel inspired casserole dish that is known as delicious comfort food.
- Hash Brown Potatoes: I used shredded hash brown potatoes. Thawed or frozen hash browns work for this recipe.
- Cream of Chicken Soup: Helps create a slightly chicken flavored base.
- Melted Butter: Adds flavor to the dish.
- Sour Cream: Pairs with the cream of chicken soup.
- Shredded Cheese: Cheddar cheese
- Onion: Finely chopped onion adds flavor and texture.
- Garlic Pepper: This is the main seasoning of the dish; if you don’t have garlic pepper, use garlic powder and black pepper instead.
Step One – Pour the shredded hash browns into a crockpot that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
Step Two – Add in the remaining ingredients.
Step Three – Stir everything until well combined.
Step Four – Cook on LOW for 3-4 hours (or until potatoes are tender).
Step Five – Add the remaining shredded cheese on top.
Step Six – Cook for an additional 20 minutes (or until cheese has melted). Garnish and serve.
How to serve
- Consider adding crushed potato chips or crushed Ritz crackers for a crunchy topping.
- Serve with additional cheese options such as Colby cheese and sharp cheddar.
- Hashbrown casserole pairs perfectly alongside traditional breakfast sides like sausage links, bacon, scrambled eggs, and toast.
- Other garnish ideas are chopped parsley, bell peppers, green onions, and extra cheese.
Yes! Cream of mushroom soup is a great substitute. You can also substitute plain Greek yogurt for sour cream.
Allow the hashbrown casserole to cool and place the leftovers in an airtight container. Keep refrigerated for up to 3 days.
One of the quickest ways is to add cooked and chopped ground beef or leftover chicken from something else you’ve cooked.
Yes! Place the leftovers in a freezer-friendly bag or container and freeze for up to 3 months.
The cook time will be longer if you use cubed, and the flavor and texture will be different. The shredded hashbrowns soak up the cheesy sauce perfectly, and that is what makes the recipe so special.
Want to make more magic in your crockpot? Stay up to date and subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Tik Tok, and YouTube.
Cracker Barrel Hashbrown Casserole Recipe
- 30 oz. shredded hash browns frozen
- 10.5 oz. cream of chicken soup
- 2 cups sour cream
- 2 Tbsp. butter melted
- 1 small onion finely diced
- 8 oz. cheddar shredded
- 1 Tbsp. garlic pepper seasoning
- thinly sliced green onion for garnish (optional)
- Prepare the slow cooker pot with non stick cooking spray.
- Add all ingredients into the slow cooker pot and mix until thoroughly combined. (reserve ¼ cup shredded cheese for later)
- Cook on low for 3-4 hours or until the potatoes are tender.
- Mix and top with the reserved shredded cheese and cook for another 20 minutes or until the cheese has melted.
- Serve immediately and garnish with thinly sliced green onion, enjoy.
- Place the leftovers in a freezer-friendly bag or container and freeze for up to 3 months.
- Use any cheese that you like, such as swiss, gouda, colby jack, gruyere or pepper jack.
- Cream of mushroom soup is a great substitute for cream of chicken soup. You can also substitute plain Greek yogurt for sour cream.
- Want to add meat? One of the quickest ways is to add cooked and chopped ground beef or leftover chicken from something else you’ve cooked.
Nutrition info is auto-generated. This information is an estimate; if you are on a special diet, please use your own calculations.
I’m curious, as I get older my tastes are changing. Do you think this casserole could be made substituting chicken broth for the cream of chicken soup? There’s plenty of fat in the cheese and sour cream, and I have trouble with things that are too rich these days. Thanks for a great recipe!
Sarah Olson says
It’s hard to say without testing it. It may work though!
I make this all of the time. I do not use a slow cooker, I mix all the ingredients together and spread out in a glass pan and cook them in the oven. Takes much less time.
I was a cook for this company for over 20 years. The actual recipe is tad different. No sour cream. No garlic pepper. Colby cheese only. Salt and pepper. Bake @ 400 for 30-45 minutes or until potatoes are done
linda engstrom says
What do you use instead of sour cream ? I don’t like sour cream Thanks
Do you ever use liners in your crockpot?
Sarah Olson says
I do when I’m camping!
Nancy Bondi says
My husband loves the Cracker Barrel version. Can this recipe be made gluten-free/dairy free?
Sarah Olson says
I’m unsure how the flavor would be without dairy, let me know if you try it!
Lee hoffmann says
It’s amazing! Adding breakfast sausage Add a nice touch!