Slow Cooker Whole Chicken and Stuffing is a one pot meal, even the veggies!
Growing up my mom always added extra veggies to her Stove-Top stuffing. I found that I can cook veggies with a whole chicken (smothered in butter), then stir in stove-top stuffing to the drippings in with the cooked veggies at the end of the cooking time. Makes for great tasting stuffing! I could not stop eating this stuffing, and then daydreaming about it since I made it!
I added the chicken back in with the stuffing at the end for a pretty presentation, this step can be skipped. You can serve the chicken from a platter and the stuffing from the slow cooker.
I hope you give this recipe a try! It really turned out great, and I can’t wait to make it again. Have a great week.
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 5lb. whole chicken
- 1/2 cup salted butter, melted
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 tsp. dried sage
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 6 oz. box stove top stuffing (I use savory herb style)
Slow Cooker Size:
- 6 quart or larger
- Clean out the inside of the chicken by removing any extra parts or packaging and discard.
- Add the carrots, onion and celery to the bottom of the slow cooker. Add the chicken.
- Pour over the melted butter and sprinkle over the thyme, sage, paprika, salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours.
- Remove chicken to a platter and cover with foil. Remove (but save!) the chicken drippings from the slow cooker, leaving the veggies. Add the stuffing mix to the veggies in the slow cooker. Measure out 1 1/2 cups of the liquid that you removed and add to the stuffing and veggies. Stir and add back the lid. I turn the slow cooker to high and let the stuffing absorb the liquid for about 10 minutes.
- I added the chicken back to the slow cooker with the stuffing for a pretty presentation. If I was just serving this to my family, I would slice and serve the chicken on the platter and serve the stuffing from the slow cooker.