My version of Slow Cooker Mississippi Chicken doesn’t need butter, chicken thighs have enough buttery flavor!
Slow Cooker Mississippi Chicken is a spin off of the infamous Mississippi Pot Roast. Most versions of this dish have butter in them. Instead I like to use chicken thighs which have plenty of buttery fat instead.
I’m in a lot of Slow Cooker Facebook groups and many people have complained about how greasy the Mississippi recipes can be, that’s what I love about this recipe, no butter!
I also use only the Ranch seasoning packet, peperoncinis and the juice from the peperoncinis. I do not add an au jus packet, I think it’s too beefy flavored for this dish.
How do you make Slow Cooker Mississippi Chicken?
You will need:
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs
- Ranch Seasoning Packet
- Deli sliced Peperoncinis
For this recipe I used the deli sliced pepperoncinis instead of the whole ones like other Mississippi recipes. Works great and easier to eat too. I wonder what this dish would taste with these hot mix peppers that have a mixture of chopped vegetables in a spicy brine.
I let the chicken, ranch seasoning and peppers cook for 7 hours on low. If you are gone for the day this type of meal go an hour or two longer.
Cooking the chicken with the peperoncinis make a tangy and delicious sauce that I love to serve over rice. Some like to do sandwiches with this chicken and peppers but rice is my go to. Next time I make this I plan to serve it with crock pot squash au gratin from my friends website, zucchini season is just around the corner!
You can shred this meat or leave the chicken thighs whole. I left mine whole this time, made serving very easy.
I hope you love this version of Slow Cooker Mississippi Chicken! If you love this recipe you may want to try my Slow Cooker Mississippi Pot Roast or Spicy Mississippi Roast both are great with over rice for an easy dinner.
You may also like these other slow cooker chicken recipes:
- Slow Cooker Crack Chicken
- Slow Cooker Lemon Pepper Chicken with Rice
- Slow Cooker Jamaican Jerk Chicken
- Slow Cooker Sweet and Spicy Chicken with Veggies
- Slow Cooker Root Beer Chicken
- Slow Cooker Chicken Paprika
- Slow Cooker Sesame Garlic Chicken
If you want to convert this recipe to an instant pot recipe, check out this recipe from Simply Happy Foodie.
Slow Cooker Mississippi Chicken
- 2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken thighs (trim and discard large pieces of fat)
- 1 oz. packet ranch dressing mix
- 16 oz. deli sliced pepperoncini peppers (save 1/2 cup of juices, discard the rest)
- Add the chicken to the slow cooker.
- Sprinkle over the ranch seasoning mix and the pepperoncinis and the half cup of juices from the jar.
- Cover and cook on low for 7 hours or on high for 4 hours.
- Serve the chicken thighs whole or shred them all. Serve over rice, buns or even baked potatoes.