Forget the wings and make a big batch of shredded slow cooker buffalo chicken. Pile on hamburger buns for an easy dinner or game day feast.
What is Frank’s Red Hot Sauce?
- Frank’s Red Hot Sauce is a cayenne pepper sauce that is used in
“buffalo” flavored recipes.
- This sauce does have a spicy kick to it, adding butter in the mix and ranch or blue cheese dressing topped on the final dish can cool the heat.
How to make buffalo chicken in the crockpot:
- Chicken – Boneless chicken breasts or thighs work the best for shredded chicken though bone-in breasts, thighs or drumsticks will work in this recipe.
- Ranch Dressing Mix – You can use the salad dressing mix or the dip packet, both work the same in this type of recipe.
- Frank’s Red Hot Sauce – Look for the original sauce NOT the premade buffalo wing sauce, for we are adding the butter and seasonings ourselves.
- Butter – I use an entire stick of salted butter in this recipe
How long to cook:
- Cook on LOW for 6-8 hours.
- Or on HIGH for 4 hours.
Why add butter?
- The butter not only adds flavor it helps tone down the vinegar flavor and the spiciness.
How to serve buffalo chicken:
Shred the chicken with two forks then serve one of these ways:
- Serve on hamburger buns or slider buns with chips or carrot and celery sticks on the side.
- Over baked or mashed potatoes.
- Over steamed rice.
- Toss with cooked pasta.
How to make this meal lower in carbs:
- Serve alone with celery sticks and ranch.
- Pile on lettuce wraps or low carb tortilla wraps.
More buffalo chicken recipes for your slow cooker:
- Slow Cooker Buffalo Ranch Drumsticks
- Slow Cooker Buffalo Wings
- Slow Cooker Buffalo 15 Bean Soup
- Slow Cooker Buffalo Ranch Chicken Dip
- Slow Cooker Buffalo Baby Back Ribs
- Slow Cooker Hot Chicken
Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken
- Slow Cooker – 4 quart or larger
- 2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 12 oz. Frank's Red Hot original sauce (look for the original sauce, not the one labeled wings)
- 1 oz. ranch dressing packet dip mix works too!
- ½ cup salted butter (1 stick)
- hamburger buns (or slider buns) toasted
- ranch or blue cheese dressing
- Add the chicken breasts to the slow cooker.
- Sprinkle over the ranch dressing (or dip) mix.
- Pour over the Frank's Red Hot Sauce.
- Add the cube of butter on top.
- Place the lid of the slow cooker. Cook on LOW for 6-8 hours or on high for 4 hours.
- When the cooking time is up, take two forks and shred the chicken.
- Serve over buns and top with ranch or blue cheese dressing. (see my notes below for other serving ideas)
How to Video:
- Serve on rice, mashed potatoes or on a baked potato.
- Toss with pasta.
- To make this lower in carbs serve with celery and ranch on the side or serve in lettuce or low carb tortillas.