It’s definitely soup weather! This healthy and delicious Turkey and Brown Rice Soup was just what I needed this weekend. We had overbooked our weekend, and I was starting to feel sick. It was nice to have this soup for dinner and have plenty leftover for lunch the next day.
This soup has turkey breast tenderloins in it, they are about the size of boneless skinless chicken breasts. Turkey packaged like this is not more expensive than chicken breasts. I always forget about turkey when I’m planning my meals for the week.
I stir in Minute Brand brown rice when the soup is done cooking, add the lid back on and turn the slow cooker to high. It takes 20 minutes for the rice to get tender since the slow cooker doesn’t get to a rapid boiling point. If you aren’t familiar with Minute rice, it is rice that cooks up faster than standard rice because it has been pre-cooked then dehydrated at the factory.
- Slow Cooker- 6 quart or larger
- 20 oz. turkey breast tenderloins can substitute with chicken breast
- 2 cups mushrooms sliced
- 1 ½ cups carrots sliced
- 1 cup celery sliced
- ½ cup white onion diced
- 1 tsp. garlic minced
- 1½ tsp. dried basil
- 1½ tsp. dried thyme
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- 3 bay leaves
- 47 oz chicken or turkey broth 32 oz. box AND 15 oz can
- 1 cup Minute Brand Brown Rice uncooked
- Place everything but the rice into the slow cooker; stir.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours.
- After the cooking time is done discard the bay leaves.
- Shred the turkey with 2 forks.
- Add the dried Minute brown rice; stir, cover, and cook for 20 minutes on HIGH.
- Serve and enjoy.