Slow Cooker Louisiana Ribs are spicy and sweet and so easy to make in the slow cooker.
Hello! These Slow Cooker Louisiana Ribs were so good! The recipe is adapted from Kelly at Wildflour’s Cottage Kitchen. Her rib recipe is made in the oven, I converted it to a slow cooker recipe because I know that ribs do well in the slow cooker.
How to make Cajun Style Ribs:
The ribs start with a homemade Cajun dry rub. It may seem like a lot of ingredients, but if you cook a lot you will probably have most of the seasonings in your pantry.
I marinated my ribs overnight in a ziplock bag. It is not mandatory, but I love doing this because if I prep the ribs the night before I won’t have rib mess first thing in the morning as I am trying to fix breakfast.
I cooked the ribs in my 6-quart slow cooker. I spray the crockpot with non-stick spray so clean up will be easier.
I also used Kelly’s kicked up barbecue sauce recipe. Use your favorite barbecue sauce and add a few more ingredients to spice up the ribs even more.
Below is what the ribs look like after 8 hours of cooking with a little more barbecue sauce brushed on. DELISH!
Need more rib recipes? Try one of my other Slow Cooker Rib Recipes:
- Slow Cooker Classic Baby Back Ribs
- Slow Cooker Beer and Onion Beef Ribs
- Slow Cooker Country Style Ribs with Bell Peppers and Onions
- Slow Cooker Pork Ribs, Potatoes and Sauerkraut
- Slow Cooker Short Ribs, Carrots and Tomato Gravy
- Slow Cooker Pork Buffalo Style Ribs
- Slow Cooker Dr. Pepper Ribs
Slow Cooker Louisiana Ribs (Cajun Style)
- Slow Cooker- 6 quart or larger
- 1 rack pork baby back ribs
- ½ cup water
For the dry rub
- 1 Tbsp. paprika
- 2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. pepper
- ¾ tsp. onion powder
- ¾ tsp. dried leaf oregano
- ¾ tsp. dried leaf thyme
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp. creole seasoning
- ¼ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
For the barbecue sauce
- 1 cup barbecue sauce use your favorite!
- ½ tsp. molasses
- ½ tsp. creole seasoning
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder
- ⅛ tsp. onion powder
- Mix the dry rub ingredients in small bowl, and the barbecue sauce ingredients in a small bowl, set aside.
- Put the ribs on a large cutting board, flip them over so the curved side is up. Remove and discard the silver skin, I do this but getting my fingers under middle edge on one side and pulling up, most of the time I can get it off in one piece. Cut the ribs into 4 even portions. I do this because it fits nicely in the slow cooker.
- Using your hands rub the dry rub on the ribs on both sides. Place the rib pieces into the slow cooker that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Take half of the barbecue sauce and spread over the ribs (being careful not to contaminate the rest of the barbecue sauce with the raw meat, that sauce will be used later when the ribs are cooked.) Add the 1/2 cup water around the ribs.
- Cover and cook on Low for 8 hours without opening the lid during the cooking time.
- Brush the remaining barbecue sauce on the ribs.
Recipe Adapted from Wildflour’s Cottage Kitchen.
First Published: 01/05/2016