Are you a sauerkraut lover? Then I have the recipe for you, this Slow Cooker Ribs, Potatoes and Sauerkraut recipe is a one pot meal full of deliciousness.
Hello! I was very pleasantly surprised at how good this meal turned out! I adapted this recipe from the Paula Deans oven version. I browned the ribs and onions in the oven under the broiler then put that on top of red potatoes then I topped with sauerkraut. I drain and rinse my sauerkraut to make it a bit milder but it can be put straight on.
I really enjoyed how the ribs turned out in this recipe. It’s nice to taste the taste of the pork without any barbecue sauce on them like most of my rib recipes. And the ribs help flavor the rest of the dish too. I really recommend trying this meal!! The sauerkraut to me wasn’t overpowering, it really rounded out the entire meal. Have a great week!
- Slow Cooker- 6 quart or larger
- 1 rack pork baby back ribs
- 1 white onion, sliced
- 2 Tbsp. cooking oil
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 lbs. sliced red potatoes
- 16 oz. sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup chicken broth
- Remove the membrane off the back of the ribs by sticking a finger under it in the middle of the ribs, life up and pull. It may not come off in one piece. You can see how I remove this in the video.
- Preheat the oven to Broil.
- Cut the ribs into single rib pieces. Place the cut onion onto a baking sheet. Add the ribs on top of the onion. Drizzle over the oil. Sprinkle over the salt, pepper and thyme over the ribs. Add the garlic cloves.
- Place the baking sheet into the oven under the broiler. Leave in the oven until the ribs are slightly browned. Mine took about 10 minutes. Keep an eye on them so they don't burn.
- Add the sliced potatoes to the slow cooker. Add the contents of the baking sheet on top of the potatoes. Drain and rinse the sauerkraut if desired. Add the sauerkraut on top of everything.
- Pour over the chicken broth.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 5 hours or for 7-8 on low.
- Serve and enjoy!