This Slow Cooker Hot Chocolate is the best way to make your hot chocolate from scratch using common ingredients like sweetened condensed milk, unsweetened cocoa powder, dark chocolate chips, and a few other kitchen staples. Skip the store-bought packs of hot cocoa and make the perfect hot chocolate with this recipe!
Another crowd-pleasing beverage you can make is my Candy Corn Hot Chocolate! Add this hot chocolate recipe to your next party menu plan.
Why this crockpot hot chocolate recipe works
This easy crock pot hot chocolate is just that – easy. If you’re looking for the perfect party drink or something to enjoy on a cold night with your family, this homemade hot chocolate is the way to go. By making it in the slow cooker, it’ll stay nice and warm – just what you need! It’s truly the best hot chocolate! Forget the powdered stuff for this best crockpot hot chocolate recipe.
Consider using this beverage cuisine as part of a hot chocolate bar. Just be sure to make a double batch, as I’m sure it will go fast! Keep reading to make the best creamy hot chocolate recipe!
- Wet Ingredients: Sweetened condensed milk, heavy cream, milk, and pure vanilla extract combine to make some of the best hot cocoa.
- Dry Ingredients: Sugar, unsweetened cocoa powder, and salt.
- Dark Chocolate Chips: Adds a chocolate kick and helps with color and thickness as well.
Step One – Add all of the ingredients to the crock pot and whisk to combine.
Step Two – Cook on HIGH for an hour or on LOW for 2 hours, occasionally stirring until the chocolate is completely melted and heated through. (If you plan to keep the crock pot on, turn it to a warm setting so it doesn’t burn.)
- Try playing around with different flavors. Add candy canes to create peppermint hot chocolate. Drop in a few cinnamon sticks to create a subtle cinnamon flavor. And make it an adult beverage by adding a shot of peppermint Schnapps.
- When it comes to toppings, you can’t go wrong by adding mini marshmallows, a dollop of whipped cream, or a few semi sweet chocolate chips into the bottom of your mug for an enhanced chocolate flavor.
- Substituting the milk is another option when making crockpot hot chocolate recipe. Instead of whole milk, try almond milk or cashew milk.
Yes. Simply reheat it when you’re ready for more.
Store leftover hot chocolate by pouring the remaining hot chocolate into glass mason jars and keep in the fridge for up to a week.
Make your hot cocoa in a slow cooker and you will have the perfect vessel for keeping it warm for a party.
If you want a creamy hot chocolate, milk is always better. In fact it’s even better when making dry powder hot cocoa packets.
About an hour on high or 2 hours on low.
When making this easy crockpot hot chocolate, you can use mini chocolate chips, Hershey’s melted chocolate bars, dark chocolate morsels, chopped chocolate or even white chocolate chips.
You can warm hot cocoa in a microwave safe bowl for 20-second increments until your desired warmth is reached.
Yes. They are essentially the same thing, and either can be used in this recipe. You can even use half and half or regular whipping cream.
The most significant difference between these two is sweetness; evaporated milk is not near the same. Make a trip to the store for sweetened condensed milk.
Want to make more magic in your crockpot? Stay up to date and subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Tik Tok, and YouTube.
Slow Cooker Hot Chocolate Recipe
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream (2 cups) Can use whipping cream or half and half.
- 14 oz. can condensed milk
- 3 cups milk Whole Milk or 2% Milk
- 10 oz. package dark chocolate chips
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 pinch of salt
- Add all of the ingredients in the crockpot, whisking to combine.
- Cook on high for an hour or on low for 2 hours, stirring occasionally, until chocolate is completely melted, and the hot chocolate is heated through.
- Switch the crockpot to low or the keep warm setting, do not keep it on high or it will burn. Stir often at your party.
- Ladle the hot chocolate into mugs/cups and serve with mini marshmallows.
- When making this easy crockpot hot chocolate, you can use mini chocolate chips, Hershey’s melted chocolate bars, dark chocolate morsels, or even white chocolate chips. Use whatever chocolate you have on hand.
- To reheat: Warm hot cocoa in a microwave safe bowl for 20-second increments until your desired warmth is reached.
Nutrition info is auto-generated. This information is an estimate; if you are on a special diet, please use your own calculations.
made this for Friendsgiving and it was a HUGE it! Everyone asked for the recipe!