Slow Cooker Creamy Chicken Chile Relleno Soup. A hearty spicy soup that is filled with poblano chiles and tender chicken.
This hearty Slow Cooker Creamy Chicken Chile Relleno Soup recipe is a keeper! If you aren’t familiar with chile rellenos, they are roasted and cheese stuffed chiles, that are fried in an egg batter. I always order chile rellenos at Mexican restaurants, but always feel like I need a little more protein in my meal. The added chicken in this soup goes great with the spicy poblano chiles.
Below I start with chicken breasts, bay leaves, and poblano peppers, I also add onions, chicken broth, salt and pepper. I cook this part of the soup for 6 hours on low. But this soup could take 8 hours of cooking if you are away for the day.
After the cooking time is up, I blend part of the soup with a block of cream cheese, add that back into the pot, and then stir in sharp cheddar cheese.
Warm up some flour tortillas and dinner is served! This soup satisfied my craving for Mexican food, and was so much cheaper than dining out. I try to do this on Saturday nights to save money.
I hope you enjoy this recipe! I will be back on Friday with the Freezer Slow Cooker Recipe of the Month.
Slow Cooker Creamy Chicken Chile Relleno Soup
- Slow Cooker- 6 quart or larger
- 1½ lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 32 oz. chicken broth
- ½ cup diced white onion
- 3 diced poblano peppers
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 8 oz. cream cheese
- 8 oz. block sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (do not use bagged pre-shredded, it won't melt as well)
- Add everything but the cream cheese and cheddar cheese to the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours without opening the lid.
- Remove chicken breasts, shred and set aside.
- Discard bay leaves.
- Add a few ladles of the broth to a blender, add the cream cheese. Cover and pulse until smooth. Add this creamy mixture into the slow cooker. Stir in the cheese, then add back the chicken. Serve and enjoy!