I’m ready for fall weather with this Slow Cooker Cinnamon Sugar Butternut Squash recipe. This dish is a mix of sweet and buttery perfection.
Hi all! I couldn’t resist sharing this fall side dish with you a little early. With school and cooler weather around the corner, this type of recipe is on my mind. First I can’t wait for summer, then I can’t wait for fall.
How to peel and cut butternut squash:
- Place the squash on a cutting board that won’t slide around on your counter.
- Peel the butternut squash with a potato peeler everywhere.
- Cut the butternut squash length-wise.
- Then cut into slices, then cubes.
How to make butternut squash in the slow cooker:
You will need these ingredients:
- Butternut squash
- Salted butter
- Brown sugar
- Add the cubed butternut squash to the slow cooker. Cut the cube of butter into slices and place over the squash.
- In a small bowl combine the brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and salt. Sprinkle that mixture over the butternut squash and butter.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on high for 3 hours. Resist the urge to open the lid.
- Scoop and serve!
Who wouldn’t want a scoop of this? I think that this would be perfect for Thanksgiving instead of the canned candied yams that my husband likes.
I’ve found there is little waste to butternut squash after it has been peeled. It is very solid, meaty, and has very few seeds.
What to serve with butternut squash:
When I make butternut squash I usually have a holiday-style dinner in mind. Though this dish is simple enough to serve for a weeknight dinner as well.
Slow Cooker Cinnamon Sugar Butternut Squash
- 3-4 pound butternut squash
- 1/2 cup butter 1 stick
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 1 dash salt
- Peel the squash with a potato peeler. Cut in half length wise, then cut into 1-inch cubes.
- Place the squash into the slow cooker. Cut the butter into slices. Place the butter pats all over the cut squash. In a small bowl mix together the brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and salt. Sprinkle this mixture over the squash and butter.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 3 hours without opening the lid during the cooking time.
- Serve and enjoy.
How to Video:
Nutrition info is auto-generated. This information is an estimate; if you are on a special diet, please use your own calculations.