This Slow Cooker Rosemary Chicken and Butternut Squash is a one pot meal with great flavor!
It still feels like winter here in Oregon! Never ending cold and rain, I think this is the longest winter I’ve experienced here. This meal was nice to come home to after a long day running errands, especially nice since it’s a one pot meal! The chicken is very tender and moist and so is the butternut squash.
You can see in my recipe below that I cook the chicken and butternut squash for 8 hours together. My first test run of this meal I put the butternut squash in at the half way point, doing that the butternut squash did not get buttery tender like butternut squash should be. I’m glad I retested this meal, it’s a great recipe that can go a full 8 hours, which is nice when I’m away all day.
Below is the chicken after cooking 8 hours on low. Look at that glistening butternut squash!
See below my video how to make this meal. You can follow me on YouTube here.
- 1 6 lb. whole chicken
- 1 butternut squash peeled and cubed
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 2 tsp. fresh rosemary or 1 tsp. dry
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1/2 large lemon
Slow Cooker Size:
- 6- quart or larger
- After removing the chicken from it's packaging and be sure to remove any extras from both sides of the cavity and discard. Pat dry.
- Put the chicken in the slow cooker.
- Add the butternut squash around the chicken.
- Sprinkle over the salt, pepper, paprika and rosemary over the chicken and squash.
- Squeeze the lemon over, then drizzle over the butter.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours without opening the lid during the cooking time.
I used my 6.5 quart touchscreen Crock-Pot® for this recipe, though any 6-quart or larger will work fine.
You may also like: Slow Cooker Minnesota Pork Chops