This Slow Cooker Rosemary Chicken and Butternut Squash is a one pot meal with great flavor!
It still feels like winter here in Oregon! Never ending cold and rain, I think this is the longest winter I’ve experienced here. This meal was nice to come home to after a long day running errands, especially nice since it’s a one pot meal! The chicken is very tender and moist and so is the butternut squash.
You can see in my recipe below that I cook the chicken and butternut squash for 8 hours together. My first test run of this meal I put the butternut squash in at the half way point, doing that the butternut squash did not get buttery tender like butternut squash should be. I’m glad I retested this meal, it’s a great recipe that can go a full 8 hours, which is nice when I’m away all day.
Below is the chicken after cooking 8 hours on low. Look at that glistening butternut squash!
Slow Cooker Rosemary Chicken and Butternut Squash
- Slow Cooker- 6 quart or larger-oval
- 6 lb. whole chicken
- 1 butternut squash peeled and cubed
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp fresh rosemary 1 tsp. dry
- 2 tbsp lemon juice ½ a lemon
- ½ cup butter melted
- After removing the chicken from its packaging and be sure to remove any extras from both sides of the cavity and discard. Pat dry.
- Put the chicken in the slow cooker.
- Add the butternut squash around the chicken.
- Sprinkle over the salt, pepper, paprika, and rosemary over the chicken and squash.
- Squeeze the lemon over, then drizzle over the butter.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours without opening the lid during the cooking time.
- Serve and enjoy.