These Slow Cooker Cheesy Mashed Potatoes are a cheese lover’s dream. Very easy to make in the slow cooker and keep warm for dinner or a potluck.
The chicken bouillon adds a hint of flavor, just like it does it in a few of my meatless soups. No chicken flavor I promise. Just perfectly seasoned potatoes.
I made Fried Mashed Potato Patties the next day for breakfast. Have you ever made these? Fried mashed potato patties are leftover mashed potatoes that are lightly battered (this helps keeps them from sticking and falling apart). Then fried in butter. These patties are best served with over easy eggs and toast.
How to make Slow Cooker Cheesy Potatoes:
- Start by peeling 4 pounds of russet potatoes, cubing them and add them to the slow cooker.
- Add enough water to cover the potatoes.
- Add 2 chicken bouillon cubes.
- Cover and cook on high for 4 hours without opening the lid during the cooking time.
- When the cooking time is done, drain the water off the potatoes.
- Add salt, sour cream and 1 cup of shredded cheese.
- Blend together with a hand-held mixer.
- Add 2 more cups of shredded cheese to the potatoes and replace lid for 10 minutes or until cheese has melted.
My tips for slow cooker cheesy mashed potatoes:
- Why dirty a strainer? Wearing oven mitts, hold the slow cooker insert with the lid opened a crack and pour the water down the sink drain.
- Take care to not over mix the potatoes; they will become gluey in taste and texture.
- Be careful not to scrape the beaters against the ceramic slow cooker insert as much as possible.
- Slow Cooker- 6 quart or larger-oval
- 4 lbs. russet potatoes peeled, cubed
- water (to cover potatoes while cooking)
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
Add these things after cooking time is done:
- 1 tsp. salt
- 16 oz sour cream
- 3 cups sharp cheddar cheese grated and divided
Opitional Toppings for Garnishing
- chives or green onions; chopped
- Place the peeled and diced potatoes into the slow cooker.
- Add the chicken bouillon cubes and water to cover the potatoes completely.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 3.5 hours.
- When done, drain the potatoes.
- Add the salt, sour cream, and 1 cup cheese to the potatoes.
- Using a hand-mixer, blend everything until smooth, being careful not to over mix.
- Sprinkle the remaining 2 cups of cheese atop the now mashed potatoes.
- Replace the lid and give the cheese should take about 10 minutes to melt. (You can turn the slow cooker to high to speed up the process.)
- Top the potatoes with optional chives or green onions if desired.
- Serve and enjoy!