These Slow Cooker Cheesy Mashed Potatoes are a cheese lover’s dream. A perfect side dish to feed a crowd!
Hi Slow Cooker Friends! How good do these potatoes look? I knew that this dish would be good, but I had no idea it would be the best potatoes I’ve ever ate! You may wonder why I added the chicken bouillon cubes. The chicken bouillon adds a hint of flavor, just like it does it in a few of my meatless soups. No chicken flavor I promise. Just perfectly seasoned potatoes.
I made a video of the making of these slow cooker cheesy mashed potatoes on YouTube below. I haven’t posted a video for a while, but I do plan to add one video a month once I get caught up. You can follow me on YouTube here.
I made Fried Mashed Potato Patties the next day for breakfast. Have you ever made these? Fried mashed potato patties are leftover mashed potatoes that are lightly battered (this helps keeps them from sticking and falling apart). Then fried in butter. These patties are best served with over easy eggs and toast.
I used my 6-quart oval slow cooker for this recipe. I wouldn’t use a slow cooker that is any smaller than that in fear that it would over flow after adding the sour cream and cheese.
- 4 lbs. Russet Potatoes, peeled diced large
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 (16-oz.) container sour cream
- 3 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated and divided
- sliced chives or green onions for serving
- 6-quart Oval
- Place the peeled and diced potatoes into the slow cooker. Add the chicken bouillon cubes and water to cover the potatoes completely.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 3.5 hours. Drain the potatoes,I don't dirty a strainer to drain the potatoes. I hold the slow cooker insert with the lid on using thick oven mitts. I leave crack open between the lid and slow cooker liner and pour the water down the drain in the sink.
- Add the salt, sour cream, and 1 cup of the cheese on top of the potatoes. Using a hand held mixer, blend everything until smooth, being careful not to over mix because that can make the potatoes gluey tasting. Also be careful not to scrape the beaters against the ceramic of the slow cooker as much as possible.
- Add the remaining 2 cups of cheese. Place the cover back on the slow cooker, the cheese should take about 10 minutes to melt, turn the slow cooker to high during this time to speed up the process.
- Top the potatoes with chives or green onions if desired.
- Serve and enjoy!
You may also like: Slow Cooker Lemon Pepper Chicken Thighs