If you’re looking for a healthy comfort food, this seven-ingredient Slow Cooker Cauliflower Cheese Soup has the best flavor and is absolutely delicious. It’s smooth, creamy, and a cheese soup everyone is sure to enjoy.
Why this cauliflower cheese soup recipe works
Making a creamy lower carb soup is super easy with this soup recipe. You’ll combine some of the most commonly used ingredients, dump them into the crock pot, and sit back as the aroma fills your kitchen.
This cheesy cauliflower soup features chopped cauliflower, shredded cheddar cheese, chicken broth, chopped chives (or green onions), crumbled bacon, leeks, heavy cream, and seasonings – and that’s it!
You’ll find this soup super yummy and very versatile when serving. Enjoy it on a busy weeknight or whip up a batch to serve at a weekend potluck.
- Cauliflower: You’ll remove the green leaves, wash, and chop the cauliflower before adding it to the slow cooker. It will soften during cooking time, making it easy to turn into creamy cauliflower soup.
- Cheddar Cheese: I highly recommend using block milk or sharp cheddar cheese instead of bagged cheese. It will not melt as well as using a fresh block.
- Chicken Broth: Not only will this add to the creamy texture but also has a nice flavor.
- Heavy Cream: This will be added toward the end right before blending everything together.
- Seasonings: Salt, pepper, and garlic provide the perfect amount of seasoning.
- Serving: Chives, bacon, and additional cheddar cheese can be used to garnish just before serving a bowl of this delicious soup.
- Leeks: Chopped and added for an amazing but not over-powering onion taste.
Step One – Cut up a head of cauliflower into big chunks, and slice a leek. Add those to the slow cooker along with garlic, pepper, and chicken broth.
Step Two – Place the lid on the slow cooker and let this cook on low for 6-8 hours.
Step Three – When the cooking time is done, add everything from the slow cooker to a blender. Pulse until smooth. Add this blended mixture back to the slow cooker and then stir in heavy cream and cheddar cheese. You can also use an immersion blender.
Step Four – Top the blended soup with chives, crumbled bacon, and cheese if desired.
How to serve:
- In addition to the crumbled bacon, shredded cheese, and chopped green onions, you can also add additional toppings such as sour cream and a dash of hot sauce and cajun seasoning to add a little kick.
- Serve a bowl of this cauliflower cheese soup with a few pieces of crusty bread, especially drizzled with garlic or butter.
- This wonderful soup can also be paired with a salad for a soup and salad combo. Anything from a small side salad to a Caesar salad with the works would taste great.
Yes. Vegetable broth or vegetable stock would taste great as a substitution.
Simply, pour any leftovers into an airtight container and store them in the fridge for up to 4 days. Let it cool before storing. Reheat on the stovetop over medium low heat.
Added carrots taste great; however, my favorite way is to add freshly shredded carrots, just before serving.
Yes, frozen cauliflower will work great in this recipe.
Slow Cooker Cauliflower Cheese Soup
- 32 oz. box chicken broth
- 1 head cauliflower cut into chunks green part discarded
- 1 cup diced leeks (about 1 leek)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
Add at the end:
- 3 cups shredded sharp cheese freshly shredded (not bagged)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- salt to taste
- 6 slices of bacon cooked and crumbled
- chopped chives
- additional shredded cheese
- In a 6-quart slow cooker at the chicken broth, cauliflower, leeks, garlic and pepper.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours.
- Add everything from the slow cooker in to a blender, cover and pulse until smooth. Add this back to the slow cooker. Add the shredded cheese and cream, stir. Now add salt to taste. I add about a ¼ tsp.
- Serve topped with bacon, cheese and chives.
- Pour any leftovers into an airtight container and store them in the fridge for up to 4 days. Let it cool before storing. Reheat on the stovetop over medium low heat.
- Vegetable broth can be used if you want a vegetarian soup (skip the bacon topping as well).
- This soup does not freeze well; instead, eat it within a few days.
Nutrition info is auto-generated. This information is an estimate; if you are on a special diet, please use your own calculations.