Easy, cheesy, yet hearty, this Slow Cooker Broccoli and Cauliflower Casserole is a tasty side for countless meals or a satisfying meatless entrée. From a simple weeknight dinner to your holiday table, this recipe often uses on-hand ingredients and no condensed canned soups.
Cheesy casseroles always top the list of favorite comfort foods. So if they top your list too, you will love these Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Casserole and Slow Cooker Cheesy Broccoli Chicken recipes.
Why this recipe works
This recipe is the perfect blend of both vegetables and cheesy creaminess. Not so cheesy that the vegetables are drowned in a sea of cheese but just enough to hide them from your most pickiest of eaters.
Plus, there’s the bonus of not only being kid-friendly but this slow cooker broccoli and cauliflower casserole also makes a beautiful addition to holiday meals.
- Cauliflower and Broccoli – We used frozen florets to have nice large pieces. Be sure to knock off any clinging ice crystals to reduce any unnecessary moisture.
- Bacon – Cook the entire pound of bacon to desired crispiness, then roughly chop.
- Cream cheese – We prefer Philadelphia brand for the best flavor and creaminess. This will make a yummy cream sauce.
- Shredded cheeses – For bolder, richer flavor, we used pepper Jack, white cheddar, and cheddar cheeses.
- Seasonings – Fresh minced garlic, black pepper, and Everything Bagel seasoning.
- French fried onions – These are no strangers to casseroles; they’re perfect for giving that extra crunch to each bite. We are using these instead of bread crumbs.
- Other ingredients– diced red onion and sour cream to add to the flavor and texture of the whole dish and green onions for garnishing.
Step One – Cook the bacon and set it aside. Add half of both the broccoli florets and cauliflower florets to the crockpot and place the cubed cream cheese on top.
Step Two – Add half of the now combined shredded cheeses and the diced red onion.
Step Three – Sprinkle half of the crumbled bacon, dollops of the sour cream, and freshly cracked peppercorn.
Step Four – Smooth the mixture out as evenly as possible.
Step Five – Create the next layer by adding the remaining broccoli and cauliflower, next the bacon, and finally the cheeses.
Step Six – Sprinkle the Everything Bagel seasoning over the top—cover and cook on LOW for 4 hours or on HIGH for 2.5 hours.
What can I serve with this?
- If serving as part of your holiday meal, our Brown Sugar Ham, Turkey Breast, Cranberry Pork Loin, and Whole Chicken would compliment this casserole perfectly.
- As part of your weeknight meal, Venison Meatloaf, Dill Pickle Pot Roast, or Barbecue Chicken Drumsticks will feel right at home on the same plate.
Recipe FAQs and Variations
Broccoli and cauliflower casserole is keto-friendly if you omit the French fried onions.
This recipe is gluten-free if you do not use the French fried onions.
Yes, simply omit the bacon or use your favorite bacon alternative.
You’ll want about four cups of both fresh broccoli (about two heads) and fresh cauliflower (one large head).
Absolutely! Use your favorite cheeses. Monterrey Jack, Colby Jack, and Longhorn Cheddar would all be delicious in this casserole. We don’t recommend using pre-grated cheeses; they tend to alter the dish’s flavor.
You’re limited only by your imagination. Cut carrots, quartered Brussels sprouts, fresh green beans, trimmed asparagus, diced leeks, and even sliced zucchini would work well.
We do not recommend freezing this recipe. Once it thawed, it might taste soggy and grainy.
Adequately covered and stored, this recipe will remain delicious for 3-4 days in the fridge.
Slow Cooker Broccoli and Cauliflower Casserole
- 1 lb. bacon
- 4 oz. block cheddar cheese
- 4 oz. block white cheddar cheese
- 4 oz. block pepper jack cheese
- 16 oz. frozen cauliflower florets
- 16 oz. frozen broccoli florets
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1 red onion diced
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1.5 tsp. Everything Bagel seasoning
- 1 cup green onions diced
- 2 cups French fried onions
- Brown and drain the bacon. Roughly chop
- While bacon is cooking, shred the cheese blocks and combine in a bowl. Dice the red onions and set aside ¼ cup for topping. Mince the garlic.
- Add ½ the cauliflower and broccoli florets to the crock pot.
- Next, add cubed cream cheese, diced red onion, half the shredded cheese, and half the crumbled bacon. Add sour cream, garlic, and black pepper and spread evenly.
- Next, top with remaining cauliflower, Broccoli, shredded cheese, and bacon. Sprinkle ½ tbsp of Everything Bagel seasoning evenly over the top.
- Cover and cook on low for 4 hours or high for 2.5 hours.
- Stir and top with chopped Green onions and French fried onions. Enjoy!
Nutrition info is auto-generated. This information is an estimate; if you are on a special diet, please use your own calculations.