This retro recipe for Chicken Paprika in the crock pot is a must try. Tender chicken thighs in a paprika sour cream sauce.
I had no idea how a recipe with this much paprika would taste like. It gave it a mild spice flavor, but overall just added to the deliciousness of the chicken.
This recipe tastes like a chicken stroganoff bursting with flavor since I used skin-on chicken thighs. The magic actually came into effect when I stirred in the sour cream.
I served this chicken paprika over store-bought wide egg noodles, though traditionally this dish is served with spätzle. I didn’t want (have time) to make spätzle, but I now know that packaged spätzle can be bought at the store!
Look at all that color! I have never made such a bright colored sauce in my life!
Mmmm. This chicken and sauce go perfectly over wide egg noodles. Crusty bread is also good with this, to soak up all that sauce!
I hope you come back next month to see what vintage recipe I picked to slow cook. Have a great week!
Try another chicken recipe for your slow cooker:
- Slow Cooker Greek Chicken Drumsticks
- Slow Cooker Sesame Garlic Chicken
- Slow Cooker Fiesta Chicken
- Slow Cooker Hawaiian Chicken
- Slow Cooker Cheesy Chicken Penne
- Pressue Cooker Lemon Dill Chicken and Potatoes
- Slow Cooker – 4 quart or larger
- 2 1/2 pounds bone-in skin-on chicken thighs
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 white onion sliced
- 14 oz. can chicken broth
- 2 tsp. Hungarian sweet paprika
- 3/4 cup sour cream ADD THIS AT THE END
- cooked egg noodles
- Sprinkle the chicken with the salt and pepper. Set a large skillet to medium heat, add the butter. When the pan is hot, brown the chicken on both sides, no need to cook through. Take off the heat.
- Add the onion, chicken broth and paprika to the slow cooker and stir. Using tongs add the chicken to the slow cooker into the paprika sauce.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 5 hours without opening the lid during the cooking time.
- When the cooking time is through and you are ready to serve dinner, cook the noodles on the stove top.
- Remove the chicken on to a plate. Add the sour cream to the sauce in the slow cooker and stir until you get as smooth as possible.
- Add the chicken back to the slow cooker in to the sauce.
- Serve over noodles and enjoy.