This slow cooker version of Butter Chicken is a must-try recipe. The homemade creamy and flavorful sauce has the perfect amount of spice (without being too much) and can be paired with many things to make a delicious meal. If you love Indian food and have always wanted to make it, this is the recipe to try.
What is Butter Chicken
If you are familiar with Indian food, then you probably know that a traditional butter chicken recipe will have the flavors of a spiced tomato sauce. These are typically reinvented with a variety of spices including garam masala, cumin, turmeric, and ginger.
Once you add the chicken, you’ll have a flavorful dish ready for various side options in no time. The best part about this delicious meal is the ability to throw everything in the crockpot and leave it. It’s seriously the easiest and best butter chicken you can make, and your whole family (even the kiddos) is sure to love it.
- Chicken: I use boneless skinless chicken breasts that are cut into 2″ cubes. This allows the chicken to cook evenly and tenderly.
- Chicken Broth: Not only will the chicken broth add flavor but it also helps to create the butter chicken sauce.
- Butter: I prefer to use salted butter for a recipe like this because it adds a bit more flavor than most people think.
- Onion: Yellow onion won’t add much spice as it will have a subtle pop in taste as well as texture.
- Coconut Milk: Instead of using regular milk, full fat coconut milk will not only help make the creamy sauce, but it will also merge with the spices.
- Homemade Indian Butter Chicken Sauce: A variation of warm spices like garlic, ginger, cinnamon, salt, cumin, turmeric, garam masala, and sugar. You’ll also use tomato paste, lemon juice, and chicken broth.
Step One – Pour the chicken stock, tomato paste, lemon juice, garlic, ginger, cinnamon, salt, cumin, turmeric, garam masala, and sugar into the slow cooker.
Step Two – Whisk the ingredients together until well combined.
Step Three – Add the cut chicken breast, yellow onion, and cut butter.
Step Four – Then, stir well to coat the chicken with the sauce. Cover and cook on HIGH for 3-4 hours or LOW for 6 hours, until the chicken is cooked through and tender.
Step Five – Stir in the coconut milk and cook for another 30 minutes.
Step Six – Once the butter chicken has finished cooking, garnish it with fresh cilantro, and enjoy!
How to serve
- One of the most common ways to serve the butter chicken recipe is with jasmine rice and naan bread.
- You can also pair it with basmati rice, cauliflower rice, or brown rice.
- Try serving a few chicken pieces alongside roasted green beans, frozen peas (cooked of course), or a small side salad.
Allow any remaining butter chicken to cool to room temperature. Then, transfer the leftovers to an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 4 days. You can also freeze them in a freezer-safe container for up to 3 months.
Thaw in the refrigerator overnight and reheat in a saucepan over medium heat until heated through. You may need to add some extra liquid, such as chicken stock or coconut milk.
Yes. Just make sure they are boneless and skinless.
Yes. The coconut milk adds a layer of flavor that the heavy cream can not. If possible, use coconut milk.
In addition to the regular seasonings, you can add chili powder and serrano peppers.
Slow Cooker Butter Chicken
- ¾ cup Chicken Stock
- 6 oz. tomato paste
- juice from 1 lemon
- 4 cloves garlic Minced or Grated
- 2 Tbsp. fresh ginger Grated
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 2 tsp. turmeric
- 2 tsp. garam masala
- 2 tsp. brown sugar
- 3 lbs. chicken breast boneless, skinless cut into 2” cubes
- ½ cup yellow onion grated or diced finely
- ¼ cup salted butter cut into pieces
- 1 cup full fat coconut milk from a can
- In a slow cooker, combine the chicken stock, tomato paste, lemon juice, garlic, ginger, cinnamon, salt, cumin, turmeric, garam masala and sugar. Whisk to combine.
- Add the cut chicken breast and yellow onion, stir well to coat the chicken with the sauce.
- Add the butter pieces on top of the chicken mixture.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 3-4 hours or LOW for 6 hours, until the chicken is cooked through and tender.
- Stir in the coconut milk and cook for another 30 minutes.
- Serve the butter chicken with jasmine rice and naan bread. Garnish with fresh cilantro, enjoy!
- To store: Allow to cool to room temperature, transfer leftovers to an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 4 days, or freeze in a freezer-safe container for up to 3 months.
- To reheat: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight and reheat in a saucepan over medium heat until heated through. You may need to add some extra liquid such as chicken stock or coconut milk.
Nutrition info is auto-generated. This information is an estimate; if you are on a special diet, please use your own calculations.