Want a recipe for the BEST tater tot casserole? Try my easy slow cooker version and you will love the hearty layers of this dish.
What’s your favorite comfort food? Mine is definitely tater tot casserole! Another version I have on the blog is my John Wayne Casserole, it’s a southwestern version of this. Or try my Chicken Tater Tot Casserole.
How to make Tater Tot Casserole in the slow cooker:
- Brown hamburger and onion in a skillet and drain the fat.
- Add cream of mushroom soup, milk, salt and pepper to the beef. Stir. Set aside.
- Add half a bag of frozen tater tots to the bottom of the slow cooker and then add green beans, then the rest of the tots.
- Pour over the meat mixture and spread out to an even layer.
- Cover and cook on low for 5 hours without opening the lid during the cooking time.
What are tater tots?
If you are in the United States you are probably familiar with what tater tots are, but other regions have asked me many questions about tater tots.
- Tater tots are a potato product that is crunchy on the outside and tender on the inside. They are made from grated potato that is shredded and formed into a cylinder shape and deep fried.
- In the UK tater tots may be called Potato Crunchies or Mini Hashbrowns.
- In Canada, you may find them labeled as Spud puppies or Tasti Taters.
- In Australia or New Zeland, they may be called Potato Gems or Potato Royals.
How can I make this healthier?
One my blog I have a version of this made with hash browns (not fried) and that really lightens up the recipe. You can find that recipe here: Slow Cooker Lightened Up Tater Tot Casserole
Can I use frozen or fresh green beans instead of canned?
- We prefer canned green beans in our house but this recipe is adaptable and fresh or frozen green bean work fine, the slow cooker will cook them perfectly.
- Use 2-3 cups of fresh or frozen in place of the canned in this recipe.
More great tater tot recipes:
- Breakfast Tater Tot Casserole – Recipe by The Country Cook
- Chili Tater Tot Casserole – Recipe by Crazy for Crust
- Tater Tot Nachos – Recipe by Family Fresh Meals
- Cheesy Tater Tot and Steak Breakfast Burritos – Recipe by Kitchen Divas
- Loaded Tater Tot Dip – Recipe by Averie Cooks
The flavors all come together after slow cooking. Try this recipe out this week and leave a comment on what you thought. Enjoy!
Other slow cooker ground beef recipes you’ll love:
- Slow Cooker Spaghetti Sauce
- Slow Cooker Salisbury Sauce
- Slow Cooker Bacon Cheeseburger Dip
- Slow Cooker Six Layer Dinner
Slow Cooker Tater Tot Casserole
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 small onion diced
- 21 oz. cream of mushroom soup (two 10.5 oz. cans)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 32 oz. bag tater tots
- 29 oz. green beans (two 14.5 oz. cans, drained) or 2-3 cups fresh or frozen
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet set over medium high heat add the ground beef and onion. Cook until the beef is brown. Drain fat. Add the cream of mushroom soup, milk, salt and pepper to the beef. Stir. Set aside.
- Add half of the tater tots to the slow cooker, spread them out to an even layer. Add the green beans next. Then the rest of the tater tots. Pour over the beef mixture. Spinkle over the cheese.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 5 hours without opening the lid during the cooking time. Serve and enjoy!
How to Video:
Nutrition info is auto-generated. This information is an estimate; if you are on a special diet, please use your own calculations.