Want a recipe for the BEST tater tot casserole? Try my easy slow cooker tater tot casserole made with green beans, cream of mushroom soup, and cheddar cheese. You will absolutely love the hearty layers of this dish.
What’s your favorite comfort food? Mine is definitely tater tot casserole! Another version I have on the blog is my John Wayne Casserole, it’s a southwestern version of this. Or try my Chicken Tater Tot Casserole.
What are tater tots?
If you are in the United States you are probably familiar with what tater tots are, but other regions have asked me many questions about tater tots.
- Tater tots are a potato product that is crunchy on the outside and tender on the inside. They are made from grated potato that is shredded and formed into a cylinder shape and deep fried.
- In the UK, tater tots may be called Potato Crunchies or Mini Hashbrowns.
- In Canada, you may find them labeled as Spud puppies or Tasti Taters.
- In Australia or New Zealand, they may be called Potato Gems or Potato Royals.
Regardless of where you’re from or what you call them, they are absolutely delicious and the highlight of any tater tot casserole recipe.
- Ground Beef: Go for a leaner beef if you want less fat content.
- Tater Tots: All you need is a bag of frozen tater tots.
- Green Beans: Adds a hearty touch to the casserole.
- Cheddar Cheese: Shredded and sprinkled on top for a cheesy finish.
- Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup: Provides a creamy and tasty texture to the dish.
- Milk: Added with the mushroom soup to thin out the sauce.
- Seasonings: Salt and pepper add the perfect amount of flavor.
- Onion: A small diced onion is added for enhanced flavor and heartiness.
Step One – Brown ground beef and onion in a skillet and drain the fat.
Step Two – Add cream of mushroom soup, milk, salt and pepper to the beef. Stir. Set aside.
Step Three – Add half a bag of frozen tater tots to the bottom of the slow cooker.
Step Four – Then add green beans.
Step Five – Now add the remaining tater tots.
Step Six – Pour the ground beef mixture over the tots and spread out to an even layer. Sprinkle over the cheese. Cover and cook on low for 5 hours without opening the lid during the cooking time.
How can I make this healthier?
On my blog, I have a version of this made with hash browns (not fried) and that really lightens up the recipe. You can find that recipe here: Slow Cooker Lightened Up Tater Tot Casserole.
How to serve
- This easy tater tot casserole is served perfectly as is. Simply scoop a nice helping into a bowl and enjoy.
- Crock pot tater tot casserole can be topped with extra cheese, chives, and/or sliced green onion. We are guilty of topping ours with ketchup! It’s so good.
- Roasted veggies, green salad, and roasted asparagus also taste amazing with this dish.
Yes, though you will find the texture is great. The potatoes break down into little bits, creating a wonderful texture to the casserole. If you are on the fence about trying this, just try it once; it’s one of the best meals you will make in the slow cooker.
We often use canned green beans in our house, but this recipe is adaptable, and fresh or frozen green beans work fine; the slow cooker will cook them perfectly. Use 2-3 cups of fresh or frozen in place of the canned in this recipe.
Although this recipe calls for cream of mushroom soup, you can also use cream of chicken soup or cream of cheddar soup.
Ground chicken and ground turkey are great substitutions and taste just as delicious.
Any remaining casserole can be stored in an airtight container and kept in the fridge for up to 4 days.
The flavors all come together after slow cooking. Try this recipe out this week and leave a comment on what you thought. Enjoy!
Slow Cooker Tater Tot Casserole
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 small onion diced
- 21 oz. cream of mushroom soup (two 10.5 oz. cans)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 32 oz. bag tater tots
- 29 oz. green beans (two 14.5 oz. cans, drained) or 2-3 cups fresh or frozen
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet set over medium high heat add the ground beef and onion. Cook until the beef is brown. Drain fat. Add the cream of mushroom soup, milk, salt and pepper to the beef. Stir. Set aside.
- Add half of the tater tots to the slow cooker, spread them out to an even layer. Add the green beans next. Then the rest of the tater tots. Pour the meat mixture over and spread out. Spinkle over the cheese.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 5 hours without opening the lid during the cooking time. Serve and enjoy!
How to Video:
Nutrition info is auto-generated. This information is an estimate; if you are on a special diet, please use your own calculations.