This casserole tastes like tater tot casserole but with fewer calories! I use shredded hash browns instead of tater tots.
I made this easy Lightened-Up Slow Cooker Tater Casserole this week. I will be making this instead of my favorite comfort food Tater Tot Casserole when I am trying to eat healthier. My husband and I really enjoyed the meal! I used refrigerated style shredded hash browns in place of the tater tots.
Replacing the tater tots with the hash browns cut the majority of the calories in the dish. Other changes I made was I used low-fat meat, healthy request cream of mushroom soup, and used weight watchers cheese.
My other meat and potato recipes:
- Slow Cooker Classic Tater Tot Casserole
- Slow Cooker John Wayne Tater Tot Casserole
- Slow Cooker Beef Stew
- Slow Cooker Beef and Potatoes Au Gratin
I think if you are a fan of tater tot casserole, and want to try a lightened up version, you will love this! Enjoy!
Lightened-Up Slow Cooker Tater Casserole
- Slow Cooker- 6 quart or larger
- 21.5 oz. Healthy Request cream of mushroom soup (two 10.75-oz. cans)
- ¼ cup fat free milk
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- ¼ tsp. onion powder
- 1 lb. 4% fat ground beef browned and drained
- 20 oz. bag shredded hash browns (note these are the refrigerated ones, not frozen)
- 3 cups stemmed and cut fresh green beans I bought a 1/2 pound
- 2 cups Weight Watchers cheese I use Mexican blend shredded- package says 5 grams fat per serving
- In a large bowl, whisk together the 2 cans of cream of mushroom, milk, salt, pepper, and onion powder. Then stir in the browned meat, shredded hash browns and green beans.
- Spray a 6-quart slow cooker with non-stick spray. Add the mixture you just made into the slow cooker, and gently flatten it.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 4 hours, without opening the lid during the cooking time.
- During the last 15 minutes add the shredded cheese. Cover and let the cheese melt.
- Serve and enjoy!