I made this easy Lightened-Up Slow Cooker Tater Casserole this week. I will be making this instead of my favorite comfort food Tater Tot Casserole when I am trying to eat healthier. My husband and I really enjoyed the meal! I used refrigerated style shredded hash browns in place of the tater tots. Replacing the tater tots with the hash browns cut the majority of the calories in the dish. Other changes I made was I used low-fat meat, healthy request cream of mushroom soup, and used weight watchers cheese.
Are any of you fan of Jim Gaffigan? He is on tour again and we just got our tickets! He will be in town on our anniversary, I seriously can’t think of a better way to celebrate it! I also just saw that there will be a show called The Jim Gaffigan Show! Woot woot! I am hoping this will be as good as Seinfeld! I can’t wait to see it.
Also this week I just got word that I will be signing my cookbook at the local Eugene, Oregon Barnes & Noble. I have waited to hear from them for a few months, I finally called again and got it booked. Talk about sweating bullets people. If you are local, I would love to see you April 11th. I will be signing books from 5-7:30pm!
I think if you are a fan of tater tot casserole, and want to try a lightened up version, you will love this! Enjoy!
- 2 10.75-oz. cans Healthy Request cream of mushroom soup
- 1/4 cup fat free milk
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1/4 tsp. onion powder
- 1 lb. 4% fat ground beef browned and drained
- 1 20-oz. bag shredded hash browns (note these are the refrigerated ones, not frozen)
- 3 cups stemmed and cut fresh green beans I bought a 1/2 pound
- 2 cups Weight Watchers cheese I use Mexican blend shredded- package says 5 grams fat per serving
- In a large bowl, whisk together the 2 cans of cream of mushroom, milk, salt, pepper, and onion powder. Then stir in the browned meat, shredded hash browns and green beans.
- Spray a 6-quart slow cooker with non-stick spray. Add the mixture you just made into the slow cooker, and gently flatten it.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 4 hours, without opening the lid during the cooking time.
- During the last 15 minutes add the shredded cheese. Cover and let the cheese melt.
- Serve and enjoy!