Cayenne pepper and smoked paprika add the right amount of kick to chicken breasts to create the yummiest hot honey chicken sandwich. If you’re looking for the perfect sweet but spicy chicken sandwich, then you can go wrong by making this recipe.
Why this hot honey chicken recipe works
Making your own version of hot honey chicken sandwiches just got so much easier. You can skip making a flour mixture and frying chicken on the stove and instead go for the dump-and-go method this recipe provides.
All you need are just a few ingredients and a cooking time of 4-6 hours to yield delicious sweet honey chicken that everyone is sure to love. I like to whip up chicken like this for busy weeknight meals, potluck gatherings, or game days. If you are looking for something a little more spicy, try my slow cooker buffalo chicken.
- Chicken: You’ll need at least 2 pounds of boneless skinless chicken breasts or chicken thighs.
- Seasonings: Smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, and kosher salt is the perfect flavor combination for this recipe.
- Hot Honey Sauce: Ketchup, salted butter, apple cider vinegar, honey, and cornstarch come together to create the hot “sauce” for the hot honey chicken.
Step One – Trim the chicken breast and season with the spices, rubbing them on all sides. Place the chicken in the slow cooker.
Step Two – Combine the ketchup, melted butter, and vinegar together, then pour over the chicken.
Step Three – Rub the spicy sandwich mixture all over each piece of chicken.
Step Four – Add the honey.
Step Five – Place the quartered butter on top of the chicken fillets.
Step Six – Place the lid on the pan. Cook on HIGH for 4 hours or LOW for 6 hours. Stir the cornstarch with a spoon of water and mix into the crockpot. Cook for another 20 minutes or until the sauce has thickened. Once cooking time is up, shred with two forks or use a hand mixer. You don’t have to let the chicken rest. Instead, serve immediately and enjoy!
How to Serve
- When it comes to buns, you can use hamburger buns, brioche buns, mini buns, or even white bread. Toast your brioche bun first for an added crisp.
- Top the sandwiches with cheese like Pepper jack cheese, American cheese, or even a slice of provolone, sliced onion, pickles (especially butter pickles), a few drops of pickle juice, shredded lettuce, and sliced tomato.
- For seasonings, sandwich recipes like this taste great when you drizzle some extra honey, add red pepper flakes, minced garlic, and some of the extra spicy honey sauce. Make it extra spicy by adding some Sriracha sauce.
- As for sides, you can’t go wrong by pairing the sandwiches with french fries, slow cooker corn on the cob, cole slaw, or a refreshing small side salad.
- If you don’t want to serve the chicken directly from the crock pot, remove chicken and place it in a large bowl for serving.
Place any remaining cooked chicken in an airtight container and store in the fridge for up to 4 days. Reheat it on the stovetop over medium heat until warmed throughout.
Use it to make more sandwiches or as a salad topper, baked potato topper or eat it as is.
Slow Cooker Spicy Honey Chicken Sandwiches
- 2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breast or thighs
- 1 Tbsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- ⅓ cup ketchup
- 4 Tbsp. salted butter
- 1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup honey
- 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
- sliced onion
- Trim the chicken breast and season with the spices, rubbing them on all sides.
- Place the chicken in the slow cooker. Combine the ketchup, melted butter, and vinegar together, then pour over the chicken.
- Add the honey and place the lid on the pan. Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6.
- Stir the cornstarch with a spoon of water and mix into the crockpot. Cook for another 20 minutes or until the sauce has thickened.
- Using 2 forks or a hand mixer, shred the chicken.
- Serve the chicken on buns with pickles and some onion.
- Place any remaining cooked chicken in an airtight container and store in the fridge for up to 4 days. Reheat it on the stovetop over medium heat until warmed throughout.
Nutrition info is auto-generated. This information is an estimate; if you are on a special diet, please use your own calculations.